|Canada geese flying in a V-formation. Credit: Ted (bobosh_t)|
1. Today I paused for a moment to watch a formation of geese flying over the parking lot where I stood. At first the formation was in disarray but as I watched the geese in the messy middle got themselves organized into the famous v-formation. I was struck that there was a life lesson for me here...it is possible and preferable to get my act together when I am in the messy middle of some project!
2. I've been re-reading my book reviews lately. Some of them are so inspired it is really obvious that I loved the book and did my homework and took my time to get things right. Other reviews are so uninspired. It is pretty obvious that I just knocked the review off without too much thought. Then I started noticing something. many of my uninspired book reviews are for audiobooks I listened to. Whether I liked the book or not it was just more difficult to write the review if I didn't have a print edition of the book in front of me to inspire me with quotes or for review purposes.
3. Speaking of audiobooks, I am listening to the book Being Mortal by Atul Gwande. It is about end-of-life decisions we make about health care that frankly may actually shorten our lives and definitely lowers the quality of that life in the end days. This book is dominating my thoughts these days.
4. My dog is on the mend. I came home from work today and was shocked to find her in the closet. She must have scooted in there because she can still barely walk. I took it as a sign she is feeling better.
5. I got into a tiff today with a colleague over miscommunication. Why is it that I am willing to give someone the power to make me feel bad? I hate that.
Thanks to Christine over at Bookishly Boisterous for hosting Bookish (and not so bookish) Thoughts.