Exciting news: We are expecting our second grandchild. See the photo announcement above. We are so happy for our daughter and son-in-law.
Eugene: Last weekend we were in Eugene to see the Leslie Odum, Jr. concert at the Hult Center. He sang several songs with the Eugene Symphony Orchestra. What a wonderful show. Then the next day we went to Matthew Knight Arena to watch the Univ. of Oregon Women's Basketball Team play their last regular season game. This was extra special since Mom came with us and we got to see Sabrina Ionescu play. She has broken all kinds of records and is the only player in men's and women's NCAA history to reach 2,000 points, 1,000 assists and 1,000 rebounds. It was awesome to see her live.
International Women's Day: is today! I presented the children's sermon today and found my inspiration here. I had the whole church chanting "Each for Equal" while making the equal sign with our arms. (and yes, I didn't know it was an equal sign and had to be told.)
Books read since my last Sunday Salon (two weeks worth):
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck--I finally finished this classic. It only took me 10 months to do it. Ha!
- The Year of the Monkey by Patti Smith--an odd, dreamlike quality to the writing left me mostly confused.
- Lady Cop Makes Trouble by Amy Smith--the second book in the Kopp Sisters series, part of this year's PierceReads! event.
- New Kid by Jerry Kroft--The Newbery Medal winner for 2020, it is a middle grade graphic novel.
- The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman--The second book in the Book of Dust series, which is a continuation of the His Dark Materials series which was published years ago. I am having a hard time remembering details from previous books but am loving the world and details in this one. 57% complete.
- Almost American Girl by Robin Ha--a graphic memoir by a Korean-American girl 53% complete.
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry--my one reading goal of the year. I have started it but I'm only one chapter in. 3% complete.
- Such a Fun Age--It ends up that I don't like books which contain explicit sex scenes. Print.
- The Yellow House--We started listening to this as a audiobook and had a really hard time following it because there were so many people and names. If I continue it will probably be in print form.