"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, May 13, 2019

TTT: Good movies about famous writers

Top Ten Tuesday: Good movies about the lives of famous authors. 
(I tweaked today's topic since I have already done print-to-screen favorites here.)

Movie: Becoming Jane (2007)
Based on the life of: Jane Austen 
Books by this author: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, et al
Starring: Anne Hathaway
Why I liked it: I love anything by or about Jane Austen

Movie: Saving Mr. Banks (2013)
Based on the life of: P.L. Travers
Books: Mary Poppins series
Starring: Emma Thompson
Why I liked it: I love Mary Poppins and Disney. This story explains a lot.

Movie: Shakespeare in Love (1998)
Based on the life of: William Shakespeare
A possible story about the writing of: Romeo and Juliet
Starring: Joseph Fiennes
Why I liked this: I like to imagine Shakespeare as Romeo, the setting was also fabulous

Movie: The Glass Castle (2017)
Based on the life of: Jeannette Walls
Book: The Glass Castle (memoir); 
Starring: Brie Larson
Why I liked this: The book is incredible and the acting in this movie is so good.

Movie: In Love and War (1996)
Based on the early life of: Ernest Hemingway
Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Starring: Chris O'Donnell
Why I liked this: Seeing Hemingway as a young man explains a lot about his later years

Movie: Miss Potter (2006)
Based on the life of: Beatrix Potter
Books: The Tale of Peter Rabbit, et al
Starring: Renee Zellweger
Why I liked this: Who doesn't love the art of Beatrix Potter?

Movie: Capote (2006)
Based on the life of: Truman Capote
Book: In Cold Blood, et al
Starring: Philip Seymour Hoffman
Why I liked this: Capote and Harper Lee were friends. This movie expands on their friendship.

Movie: Julie and Julia (2009)
Based on the life of: Julia Childs and Julie Powell
Books: Julie and Julia by Powell and Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Childs
Starring: Amy Adams (Julie) and Meryl Streep (Julia)
Why: Actually I thought Meryl Streep was amazing.

Movie: Finding Neverland (2004)
Based on the life of: J.M. Barrie
Books: Peter Pan series
Starring: Johnny Depp
Why: It seems possible that this is really how Peter Pan came into existence.

Movie: The Raven
Based on the last days of: Edgar Allan Poe
Short Stories and poems: "The Raven". "The Tell-Tale Heart", "The Pit and the Pendulum", et al
Starring: John Cusack
Why: Pretty gory but plausible explanation for Poe's untimely death.

Movie: The Hours (2002)
Based on the life and death of: Virginia Woolf
Based on a books: The Hours by Michael Cunningham, Mrs Dalloway by Woolf
Starring: Nicole Kidman as Virginia Woolf
Why: Amazing: Three stories in one.

and though I have not seen it yet, I plan to see:

Movie: Tolkien (2019)
Based on the life of: J.R.R. Tolkien
Books: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, et al
Starring: Nicholas Hoult and Harry Gilby (young Tolkien)
Why do I want to see it: I'm a big fan of his books and his imagination

When researching this topic I stumbled upon a few more movies about authors I want to see:
Sylvia (2003) based on the life of Sylvia Plath 
The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017) based on The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
The Invisible Woman (2013) based also on Charles Dickens
Goodbye Christopher Robin (2017) about the life of A.A. Milne
Wild (2014) about Cheryl Strayed's walk along the Pacific Crest Trail


What movies about famous authors do you recommend?


25 comments:

  1. I'm glad I saw the Tolkien movie (mainly because now I can pronounce AND spell the name!), but it was a tad... Slow. And not as informative as I wanted it to be, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any of these films! I just became a movie fan in these past three years or so. (dating will do it to you!) I'm intrigued by the "Tolkien" one also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love your take on the list this week. I wasn't aware that there were so many movies about famous writers. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great take on this week's theme! Finding Neverland is one of my favorite movies, I love Johnny Depp with all my heart and the movie is just amazing. If you like these types of movies, you might want to go check out the movie "Wilde" from 1996. It deals with Oscar Wilde's life, it stars Jude Law and Stephen Fry. It's a bit slow, but I think it's beautiful.
    https://bookishtreats.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shakespeare In Love- one of my favorite movies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of the recent Tolkien movie, but I didn't realize there were so many movies based on the lives of authors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed Julie and Julia so much more than I thought I would! And you reminded me Glass Castles has been on my To watch list forever! (or so it feels like!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm super excited for the Tolkien movie! And I really need to see Becoming Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Shakespeare in Love was a very good movie.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember watching Shakespeare In Love in English class when I was like 13 and our English teacher had to stand in front of the projector when any of the nude scenes came on!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/14/top-ten-tuesday-211/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tweak on the prompt. Love your post!

    As for me, I ranted again about the disappointments of movies-from-books. Yes, same song.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so ridiculously excited for Tolkien. I hope it's as good as (or better than) it sounds!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bravo!! Excellent post! I've enjoyed most there--I missed a few but know I'd enjoy them as well. Lisa at https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2019/05/14/top-ten-tuesday-page-to-screen-freebie/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't watched any of these, but you'd think I would have at least seen Becoming Jane at some point. Will have to make that one a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great list! I love Finding Neverland, and Miss Potter, and The Hours! Such good movies. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I didn't realize there were so many movies about authors! I haven't seen any of these movies, tho I really want to see Becoming Jane and Shakespeare in Love! And Glass Castle once I get around to reading the book...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE Shakespeare In Love and Finding Neverland! I'll have to check out some of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am due for a re-watch of Shakespeare in Love. Based on the comments i can't believe that some folks haven't seen it yet.

      Delete
  18. The only ones I've seen so far are Becoming Jane, Shakespeare in Love, and Finding Neverland, but I do want to see Tolkien as well. I really enjoyed all three of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list of books. I've never thought about movies I've seen about authors, but there are so many good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to see both The Raven and Tolkien. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here's an addition: Out of Africa about Isak Dinesen's life. Book & movie are great. I also hope to see the movie Colette which was released recently. Nice list you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good call on Out of Africa. I liked the movie much better than the book by the same title. I understand that most of the material for the movie was taken from other books and essays.

      Delete
  22. The only other one that comes to mind is the one about C. S. Lewis, Shadowlands. I saw it with my mom years ago, and we enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. REALLY want to see Tolkien even though I haven't read any of his books. I just love a good period drama. ;) I liked Finding Neverland and of course despite its bittersweet end, Becoming Jane, too. :) Thanks for visiting Finding Wonderland last week. Apologies for the delay of a return visit.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.