"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, May 27, 2019

TTT: Favorite reads in each of the last ten years

Top Ten Tuesday: 
What were my favorite reads each year for the past ten years?

Note: I started keeping track on my books on Goodreads in July of 2009. My slection for 2009 reflects my favorite books from the last half of the year, July to December. For all other years, I consulted Goodreads and based my choices on my recollections and the reviews I wrote for those books. Some books have weathered better than others, but to the best of my memory I selected books I liked THAT year, even if it hasn't remained a favorite moving forward.

(I read the book in the highlighted year. The books were not necessarily published that year.)
2009
Couch by Benjamin Parzybok; Going Bovine by Libba Bray
2010
Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann; Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes
2011
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese; Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey; Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
2012
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline; The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater; Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
2013
Ten Poems to Open Your Heart by Roger Housden; Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell; A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
2014
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt; Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya; Looking for Alaska by John Green
2015
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr; Most Dangerous by Steve Sheinkin; The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig
2016
West With the Night by Beryl Markham; The Passion of Dolssa by Julie Berry
2017 
The One-In-A-Million Boy by Monica Wood; The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
2018
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman; Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett Krosoczka
2019 (first half)
Becoming by Michelle Obama; Shout by Laurie Halse Anderson


15 comments:

  1. Oh The Hitchhiker's Guide. I still want to read that. Someone told me to try it on audio- maybe I should. I really need to prioritize getting to that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you listed both an adult and YA selection this week. I'd like to read Ready Player One and The Scorpio Races someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love how you broke it out into the different genres (adult vs. YA) and audiobooks, reread, etc. What a great idea! I don't listen to audiobooks, but man, Hitchhiker's Guide sounds like it'd be one heck of a fun audiobook if the narrator did it any justice lol. I've been meaning to read All The Light We Cannot See, too! Glad to see it made your list. Great choices!

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful books, many of which I've read and discussed with you in Book Club. Couch!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I love the cover for Going Bovine.

    And Becoming is on my list, too.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow - SO MANY great books listed here! That's fun to take a look back - I should do that, too. It would be pretty easy for me, since I choose a favorite at the end of every year, when I do my annual wrap-up.

    Having just finished Eleanor Oliphant, I can see why that was a favorite! And I really need to get to Becoming - I hear it is especially wonderful on audio.

    The Hate U Give, The Goldfinch, Looking for Alaska, and Ready Player One were all favorites of mine, too!

    Thanks for the fun trip down memory lane :)

    Oh, and remember that it's the start of the Big Book Summer Challenge, so check your shelves/list for any 400+ page books you hope to tackle this summer and join the fun again!

    Sue

    2019 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for The Hate U Give. And it's been so long since I read The Scorpio Races, but I really enojyed that one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet Hitchhiker's Guide would be awesome on audio. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We DO have a lot of overlap, which is interesting, since we both read a lot, yet the same few books percolated to the top of our lists. And nearly everything on your list I haven't read is one I want to read someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your list reminds me that I still need to read Goldfinch and Scorpio Races. Thank you for your wonderful list, and thank you for proposing this as a prompt for Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic list; some of my favorites are on there so the list brought a smile to my face. And kiddos for providing the topic for this week's Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ready Player One is awesome! I listened to the audiobook and I loved it <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any of these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic list! I loved Eleanor Oliphant!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.