"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, May 6, 2019

TTT: Characters That Remind Me of Myself

Top Ten Tuesday: 
Literary characters that remind me of me (at least in part)---

1. Jo March from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott---I have two sisters. When I read Little Women as a kid, I imagined myself to be Jo March, my older sister was Meg, and my younger sister was Amy in my mind.

2. Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee---Scout was precocious, I wasn't. But I did have a gigantic imagination like Scout, and I used to spend hours playing outside with my friends inventing games and dramas.

3. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen---probably the most beloved female literary character, I don't think of myself that way, but I am very strong-willed and sometimes have made opinions about situations or people based on bad data which may have prejudiced my thinking like Lizzy did about Mr. Darcy at first.

4. Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rawling---Almost all my best friends in high school were boys just like Hermione's friendships with Harry and Ron.

5. Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables series by J.M. Montgomery---we have the same first name. I even tell people how to spell my name with an E just like Anne of Green Gables. Need I say more?

6. D.J. Schwenk from The Dairy Queen series by Catherine Gilbert Murdock--- D.J. had a boyfriend break up with her from a dumb reason that was mean and thoughtless. I had the same thing happen to me in college. I cried my way through the series because her heartbreak was mine, too.

7. Skeeter from The Help by Kathryn Stockett---Skeeter had frizzy hair, so do I. Everyone had their opinion how to manage my hair, just like they did about Skeeter's hair. Also, she was very clear about doing the right thing, not the popular thing. I'd say I lost some friends during my life for that very reason.

8. Leah Price from The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver---of the four sisters Leah was the most idealistic. I, too, am very idealistic. My parents were also missionaries in Africa like Leah's parents, though mine were nice, whereas her father was awful.

9. Fannie Price from Mansfield Park by Jane Austen---often overlooked and always moral.

10. Lazlo Strange from Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor---a dreamer and a librarian, Lazlo is the only male character on my list because I, too, and a librarian and a dreamer.



25 comments:

  1. I wish I'd thought to feature some literary characters (Anne, Elizabeth and Jo are all excellent choices, and favorites of mine), but since I haven't read the books yet, maybe it's just as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see how relatable Hermione and Elizabeth are, definitely two of the most relatable characters I can think of. Great job on this topic, loved your post!
    @BookishTreats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent list, Anne. I think there are some great characters here. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was kind of a tough topic, for sure. And Elizabeth Bennet- I think we can all relate to sometimes making judgments or assumptions without having all the information. I know I have. great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your connection with Hermione was in her friendships- I feel like a lot of people pin her down to one or two traits but there's a lot more to her than that since she is in seven books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Anne Shirley! I always dreamed of being like her when I was younger.

    Mari @ Musings of a (Book) Girl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought about maybe putting Lazlo on my list this week. Cute that you introduce yourself as Anne with an E.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jo March is a great answer!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jo was always my favorite March sister as well. I bet lots of bookworms can relate to Hermoine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely relate to Hermione but more because of her love of books than the fact that I have a lot of guy friends!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/07/top-ten-tuesday-210/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list. We have so many overlapping choices!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hermoine is getting a lot of love today, it seems. And Lazlo sounds amazing. :)

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I chose Hermoine and Elizabeth. If I had thought of Jo, I would have chosen her, too. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely saw myself a little in Jo as well when I read that novel. And Anne! If I could but have that kind of vivacity!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't pinpoint any literary characters that are much like me. Maybe that's why I vicariously enjoy their lives so much. Were you named after Anne of GG?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your list. Such great characters to resemble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lazlo really talks to us with his dreams and love of books ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was so close to including DJ in my list too. Great list! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice list. I like that you took bits from the characters rather than the whole character. Your description of Hermione being friends with 2 guys made me smile as I thought of two of my best male friends and I in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I admit I feel a strong affinity for Anne Shirley and Scout and Jo, but I think what I feel is more admiration than connection. Anne is much more forthright than I am, and Scout and Jo are much more outdoor girls than I am.

    Great list, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I had such a hard time with this assignment this week.

      Delete
  21. Hermione and Elizabeth speak to me too! YOu did well on this list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, I love Anne Shirley! I feel like rereading Anne of Green Gables now!

    My TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your picks this week - but even more your explanations for why you picked each one. I haven't read The Poisonwood Bible yet, but when I do, I will be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.