"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Sunday Salon... Thankful edition


Daniel, my son-in-law, with Ian. Photo credit: D. Bennett
Today I am thankful for:
Autzen Stadium, Nov. 25, 2017. Note the sky! Photo credit: D. Bennett
Weather: I may not like it, but I am grateful for the rain as we had a very dry summer and we need the rain to fill up our reservoirs and nourish the plants.
My parents, great-grandparents to Ian. Photo credit: D. Bennett
My parents: 88 and 89 years-old they are both plugging along. They were like the king and queen of the huge family gathering we had this weekend. Bet they will spend a days sleeping-in after we all cleared out today.
Thomas, the turkey chef. Photo credit: D. Bennett
Thanksgiving gatherings: this year my sister and her husband, Kathy and Tom, hosted the meal at their home. It is a lot of work to pull off a successful meal for fifteen people and they did it in a wonderfully warm setting with delicious food, too.
Nephew, Andrew and brother, Tony. Photo credit: A. Parr
My brother: His cancer, melanoma, is in remission and he seems to be doing so well. I am so grateful for the doctors who are treating him and for my sister-in-law, Becky, for her loving care for him over this past year while he received seriously difficult treatments.
Rachel after she found her wedding dress. Photo credit: K. Kingsbury
My niece: Rachel and Michael got engaged recently and this weekend we had a shower for her and were included in an event at a bridal shop where she tried on lots of gowns and actually said yes to a dress! What fun.
Ian with quite the hairdo! With Grand-aunt Becky in background. Photo Credit: K. Powers
Ian: our little grandson met his great-grandparents, his great aunt and uncle, and several second cousins this weekend. He was the star of the weekend.

Me (dark hair) and my siblings, July, 2017. Photo credit: G. Ruddy
Siblings and nephew: My brother, sisters, and I bought a dishwasher for our parents during the Black Friday sales. My brother and his son, Andrew, put in a new support handle in the bathroom to assist my father, (it doubles as a towel bar.) My husband put in some suction cup handles in the shower. Now we hope he will feel a bit more secure in the bathroom.
Bobby, my niece's husband, reading. Photo credit: A. Parr
Daniel and Bobby: My son-in-law and my nieces husband are such good guys and have integrated into the family so well. Dan engaged Dad and had him tell his old stories about his own father's adventures building the Panama Canal and exploring the Amazon river. Bobby is so helpful and friendly.
Rita and Ian, Nov. 25, 2017. Photo credit: D. Bennett
Carly and her friend Kelsey horsing around before Thanksgiving. Carly spent Thanksgiving with Kelsey's family.

My daughters: Rita, mother of Ian, is such a friendly, happy person and such a sweet mother. I heard her talking to my sister this morning and I felt so proud of the woman she has become. Carly spent Thanksgiving with a friend in Pennsylvania. I know she missed being with her family but she was in a good place with a family who also likes to play games. So that was good. She will be home December 15th for a month, but first she gets to host me and her aunt Kathy in New York.

Don and I at the game. Photo credit: D. Bennett
Football: I admit it---I love Duck football. Yesterday was the Civil War game vs. Oregon State. My mom bought tickets for ten of us to go to the game. Fun.
Bridal shower with the bride-to-be's mother, grandmother, three aunts, two cousins, mother-and sister
-in-law-to-be, and one friend. 

Prayers for:
  • Rocky---recovering from his surgery on his elbow tendon.
  • Andrew---for his job situation
  • Tony---for relief from neuropathy in his feet and legs. 
Books:
  • Locked Up for Freedom: Civil Rights Protesters at the Leesburg Stockade by Heather Schwartz. Read as part of the Cybils judging. Completed. Print.
  • La Belle Sauvage (Book of Dust #1) by Philip Pullman. The prequel to the Golden Compass series. Loved it. Completed. Print.
  • All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater. A bit of magical realism set in the Colorado desert. 78% complete. Audio.
  • The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Funny. 83% complete. Audio.
This video: Christmas season is upon us. The first Christmas video of the season from me to you.



You: I am thankful for all my readers. Thanks for spending a bit of time with my blog and be sure to leave me a note in the comment section. I'm thankful for comments, too.






4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post and a great way for me to begin my day--reading about happiness! Have a fantastic week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the post and all the photos. Fun to see how much Ian has grown and changed.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.