"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, May 22, 2017

TTT: Summer-themed

Today's Top Ten Tuesday suggests that we create lists about books which are summer-themed. Instead, I am creating a list of books I of books I hope to read this summer. All of the titles are from my Goodreads to-read list.

I like reading short stories when I am on vacation.
  • Reader, I Married Him: Stories Inspired by Jane Eyre by a variety of female authors (I've heard good things bout this book and I own it.)
  • Wild Pork and Watercress by Barry Crump. (I love the movie made from a story in this book: "Hunt for the Wilderpeople." But the book is out-of-print and my library doesn't have a copy, Not sure I will be able to make this reader's dreams come true.)
  • Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. This short story collection was a Pulitzer Prize winner. I am challenging myself to rad as many of the past Pulitzer Prize books as I can.)
My book clubs both continue over the summer. I've read ahead for one group but these are the books I need to read this summer for my other group:
  • Philomena: a Mother, Her Son, and a Fifty-Year Search by Martin Sixsmith (I think there was a movie made from this book.) June.
  • Every Last Cuckoo by Kate Maloy (I honestly know nothing about this book.) July.
  • Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larsen. (I've read several books by this author and like his approach to writing nonfiction.) August.
Young Adult. Just because I am retiring doesn't mean I want to abandon this genre. Here are some titles which excite me:
  • Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. (I love this author and have heard great things about this books.)
  • City of Saints and Thieves by Natalie Anderson. (OK. Truth be told. I am already reading this one but I won't finish it until after  Memorial Day, so it counts as a summer read.)
  • Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia. (Taken from a popular webcomic.)
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Saenz ( I just got a notice that the library has checked out the e-audiobook to me remotely. Guess I'll be listening to this one next.)
Award Winner.
  • The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. (I placed a hold on this award-winning book several months ago. I am tracking it and I know my turn will come sometime this summer.)
What will you be reading this summer?


17 comments:

  1. 'Dreamer' seems to be getting a lot of buzz or it did when it first released. I've never read any of Laini's books, but am curious about some of them! 'Eliza' too is a book that boasts a great cover art, but to be honest, I don't think I've really read much about it. Hmm... perhaps I should remedy this. :)

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Anne - and happy summer TBR-ing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting choices. You have a lovely varied selection. Strange the Dreamer is on my TBR too, and I saw the movie Philomena. It's so heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about Eliza and her Monsters, having just seen a review for that earlier today! May have to get that one. It looks like a good summer read too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starnge the Dreamer was an amazing book! I want to read Eliza and her monsters too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strange the Dreamer sounds really interesting even thoug her previous series wasn't up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always takes me a while to get into Laini Taylor's books so I'm still just at the start of Strange the Dreamer. Love the imagery though.
    Cora ❤ http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a well-rounded list! I'm with you on Underground Railroad and I loved Dead Wake.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/05/summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I really want to get to The Underground Railroad soon as well! And I absolutely loved Strange the Dreamer, Laini Taylor is amazing! Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eliza and Her Monsters is super high on my wishlist because I loved the author's first book!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have over 50 titles on my summer reading list. I'm trying to catch up to the starred book reviews. I also have Dreamer, City of Saints and Thieves (part of our summer reading choices for the school), Inexplicable Logic, and others. I just finished Allegedly by TIffany Jackson and it was head-spinningly great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A number of these books are on my TBR: Underground Railroad; Inexplicable Logic of My Life; City of Saints and Theives (read this one and liked it); and Philomena (I saw the movie and think it's a compelling story)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently received Eliza and Her Monsters and have heard nothing but good things about it! I'm hoping to get to it this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really curious about Strange the Dreamer. I've heard nothing but amazing things about the writing and it all sounds so...well, dreamy. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently listened to the audiobook of Underground Railroad and found it--weird. I'm currently listening to Strange the Dreamer and loving it. With her previous trilogy, I devoured the first two books and then lost interest in the third, which was weird. I think the lush prose holds up well to the pace of an audiobook instead of my usual break-neck reading speed. I really want to read more Saenz after loving Aristotle & Dante, so I hope you enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I am not sure what to make of weird when it comes to a book. I hope to listen to the audio of the Underground Railroad, too, so I will proceed with caution.

      Delete
  15. I own Strange the Dreamer and City of Saints and Thieves - I'm really looking forward to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great plan for summer reading!! Your first summer retired - how exciting! I guess it won't feel too different until fall comes and you don't go back to school.

    I have Underground Railroad on my shelf - need to get to it soon! We saw the movie adaptation of Philomena and it was wonderful - Judi Dench is fabulous in it!

    Hey, check the page count on all these - if any are 400+ pages, sign up for the Big Book Summer Challenge again! I kicked it off this weekend :)

    Happy summer reading!

    Sue

    2017 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.