"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, May 12, 2017

Friday Quotes: Lab Girl

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---



Title: Lab Girl by Hope Jahren

Book Beginning: (Prologue):
People love the ocean. People are always asking me why I don't study the ocean, because, after all, I live in Hawaii. I tell them that it's because the ocean is a lonely, empty place. There is six hundred times more life on land than there is in the ocean and this fact mostly comes down to plants.
Friday 56:
The day after the University of Minnesota conferred upon me a bachelor's degree cum laude, I dumped off my winter clothes in a big pile at the Salvation Army on Lake Street, took Hiawatha Avenue south to Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport, and flew to San Francisco. After I got to Berkeley, I didn't so much meet Bill. It was more like I identified him.

Comments: This memoir, written by a three-time Fulbright Scholar scientist, is a pure joy to read. It makes me wish I was a scientist with the curiosity and volition to run down hunches and discover problems just waiting to be solved. Bill isn't Hope's love-interest. He is her best friend and lab partner. The book is not only about what it is like being a woman in a field dominated by men, but how to navigate in that world while also plagued by other demons of mental illness, and feelings of unworthiness. I really, really like this book.

10 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one. Memoirs are especially good to read when the author shares very different kinds of experiences to mine. Thanks for sharing, Anne, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thing I've only picked up a couple of memoirs in my lifetime, but I'd like to read more. I love that this one is making you wish to be a scientist. I'm glad you're enjoying this one so much. Happy Friday, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm seeing this book around quite a bit and it sounds like it has great possibilities

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really interesting. I've always sort of wished I'd gone into the sciences. Thanks for sharing this one, and happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely! Have you read The Signature of All things by Elizabeth Gilbert? If you enjoy this one, I'm sure you will like that book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any memoir but this sounds interesting. I'll keep this book in mind when I think of reading one.
    Thanks for stopping by my Friday Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting premise! I think it is definitely refreshing to read about women in science. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quote - loved this book! Bill was hilarious!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a fascinating read. Thanks for sharing. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.