"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Sunday Salon, May 14th

My mom, reading to her granddaughters 25 years ago.
Weather: light rain. Yesterday we enjoyed a few sunbreaks.

Happy Mother's Day: My mother is 88 years old and is still very active. She is a trained registered nurse and often would work part-time while raising a family of four children. My dad is a Methodist minister and so Mom would often serve as the pastor's wife role at church and on committees. We lived in two different college towns when we were growing up and Mom got very involved in programs which would help welcome international students. Over the years I remember Mom welcoming and getting to know students from Korea, Iran, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Norway, Uganda, Germany, and many other countries. Many of these students have remained friends with my parents to this day. In a way, Mom has been the mother of the world. Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I love you.

Don is 60 today: My sister gave him a card of famous things that happened in 1957, the year we were both born. Movie tickets were 50 cents. The Vice President of the US made $35,000 per year. Gasoline was 31 cents/gallon.  Here are some images of some other things that happened in 1957:
Tang was a new beverage. Frisbees were introduced. "The Music Man" was debuted on Broadway. "Leave It to Beaver" was a popular new TV show. The Cat in the Hat was published. And Jackie Robinson retired from baseball.

Elvis on Ed Sullivan show, Jan. 6, 1957 for his third and last time.

Sorting and throwing away: I've gotten into some serious sorting and throwing away at work of papers and items I have amassed over my 37 year career. I am also setting things aside to give to teachers as prizes or booby-prizes at my retirement party on June 1st. I have a lot of posters, books, decorations, and funny gadgets. We'll see if anyone wants these little treasures. Ha!

Books completed this week:
  • Lab Girl by Hope Jahren. A memoir by a scientist/biologist who talks about her life in science and the challenges of being a female in the field. I really like this book a lot. It made me want to go back and do better in science classes in school. Audio.
  • Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team by Steve Sheinkin. This YA nonfiction book filled in a lot of holes I had in my knowledge about Jim Thorpe and about the beginnings of American football as we know it today. Sheinkin is the best YA, nonfiction writer out there and this book made a big impact on me. Print.
Currently reading:
  • Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers by Deborah Heiligman. A biography of one of the world's most famous artist and his brother. I am surprisingly interested in it. Audio. 50%.
  • This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel. I've made no progress this week on the book but must bear down because it is due back to the library soon. Print. 
Have a wonderful week. Happy Mother's Day! Happy Birthday, Don! 

4 comments:

  1. Love the anecdote about your mom. I need to start doing some sorting also. Happy Birthday to Don!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day! The Birthday card about your birth year is so much fun; I love seeing what was going on the year I was born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day, Anne! Hope you had a good one :) That's a wonderful tribute to your mom.

    I LOVE the idea of that birthday card! Any idea where she got it or the brand name of the cards? I would love to get some for my own family members - sounds like a lot of fun!

    So glad you loved Lab Girl, too - my entire book group liked it which almost never happens!

    Enjoy your week -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vincent and Theo - I'm definitely adding that one to my tbr. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.