"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

One Reading Challenge completed

I finished the Read all the 2017 Youth Media Award Winner Challenge today!

(Books highlighted in yellow= complete.)

1. Michael L. Printz Award (Best YA literature of the year) 
  • March, Book Three by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, illustrated by Nate Powell
2. Schneider Family Book Award (Teen living with a disability)
  • When We Collided by Emery Lord
3. Alex Awards -10 best adult books that appeal to teen audiences (Pick one of ten)     
  • The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst// The Regional Office is Under Attack! by Manuel Gonzales// In the Country We Love: My Family Divided by Diane Guerrero// Buffering: Unshared Tales of a life Loaded by Hannah Hart// Arena by Holly Jennings// Every Heart a Doorway by Sean McGuire// Romeo and/or Juliet: A Choosable-Path Adventure by Ryan North// Die Young With Me: a Memoir by Rob Rufus// The Wasp that Brainwashed the Caterpillar by Matt Simon// The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko by Scott Stambach
    4. Margaret A. Edwards Award (Read one book by the winning author who has made a significant contribution to YA or Children's Lit)
    • Name of author _____Sarah Dessen______________ (Choose one of his/her books)
    • Title: Along for the Ride
    5. Stonewall Children's and Young Adult Literature (LGBT) (There was a tie---Read One)
    • Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan
    • If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
    6. William C. Morris Award (First YA novel by author)
    • The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
    7. YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults  (Since March, Book Three has been listed several times already, you can pick an Honor book instead)
    • March, Book Three by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, illustrated by Nate Powell
    • Or One Honor Book: Hillary Rodham Clinton: A Woman Living History by Karen Blumenthal// In the Shadow of Liberty: The Hidden History of Slavery, Four Presidents, and Five Black Lives by Kenneth Davis// Samurai Rising: The Epic Life of Minamoto Yoshitsune by Pamela Turner// This Land is our Land: A History of American Immigration by Linda Barrett Osborne
      8. Coretta Scott King Author Award (African American Author) 
      • March, Book Three by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, illustrated by Nate Powell
      9. Coretta Scott King Steptoe Award (African American New Talent) 
               The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon 

      10. Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Award (Since March, Book Three has been listed several times already, you can pick an Honor book instead)
      • March, Book Three by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, illustrated by Nate Powell  
      • Or one Honor book: Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor's Story by Caren Stelson// Uprooted: The Japanese American Experience During World War II by Albert Marrin// We Will Not Be Silent: the White Rose Student Resistance Movement that Defied Adolf Hitler by Russell Freedman
      11. Odyssey Award (Audio Book)
      • Anna and the Swallow Man by Gavriel Savit, narrated by Allan Couduner
      12. Larua Inglalls Wilder (Author award) Read one book by author: Nikki Grimes

      Title : ________Dark Sons________________________

      13. Pura Belpre (Latino Author) ... none of the selections this year are YA titles;
      14. Batchelder Award (Translated into English) ... none of the selections this year are YA titles

      As you see March, Book Three cleaned up on the awards this year so it made finishing this challenge a bit easier for me. I really enjoy reading a variety of award books because that means I am reading a variety of great books on different topics. The last book, which I just finished today, was Dark Sons, a short book by the Laura Ingalls Wilder award-winning author, Nikki Grimes. I've had this little gem in my library for years but I never paid it much attention before now. 

      As I am preparing for retirement, it is unlikely I will host this challenge next year, though I still want to continue reading YA titles, especially award-winners.


      4 comments:

      1. You will probably miss these challenges, although it will be great to read only what you want to and not feel the responsibility to finish all the award winners. :)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I am going to get to decide how much, if any, YA titles I want to read. That is for sure. I admit I usually like YA novels, but I often get tired of them and have to clear my palette with adult titles.

          Delete
      2. I am so impressed that you already finished this challenge! I still need to read an Alex Award book and a book by Sarah Dessen, but otherwise I've done pretty well on this one.

        ReplyDelete
      3. Congrats! I really want to try March.

        ReplyDelete

      I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.