"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, December 14, 2015

TTT: My favorite books read in 2015

Broke and Bookish

Top Ten Tuesday...My favorite books of 2015
It was a strange reading year for me. I read LOTS of YA novels yet few distinguished themselves.
On the other hand this list, my 2015 list is dominated by nonfiction titles. The books are listed in alphabetical order by title rather than numerical order.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
(Historical Fiction, adult)

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande
(Narrative Nonfiction)

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
(YA fiction)

The History of the World in Six Glasses by Tom Standage
(Informational and historical nonfiction)

18007564
The Martian by Andy Weir
(Science Fiction, adult)

Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War by Steve Sheinkin
(Biography and historical nonfiction, YA)

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
(Historical fiction, adult)

24727079
Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege on Leningrad by M.T. Anderson
(Biography and historical nonfiction)

227524
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
(Mystery, classic, adult)

22609391
The Wright Brothers by David McCullough
(Collected biography)

Plus these rereads...

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Whistling Season by Ivan Doig
The Little Prince by Antonie de Saint-Exupery
(Fiction)

8 comments:

  1. Great list! All the light we cannot see and The Martian are both so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked All the Light We Cannot See but didn't love it. I also really need to squeeze in Challenger Deep before December ends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks is one of my all time favorite books!!

    Here's a link to my Top Ten Tuesday post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/12/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-best-books-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an eclectic mix of books on your list! I ended up reading a lot more nonfiction this year than I usually do, which came as a surprise to me when I looked at my Goodreads history. Also, Being Mortal sounds like a read I should add to my TBR list for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely want to read All the Light & The Martian next year! Love your variety!! :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got to hear Geraldine Brooks speak a couple of years ago. SO amazing!! I had every intention of immediately reading my copy of People of the Book... but.... it's still on my pile!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the gals in book club had trouble with The People of the Book because it jumps around to different time periods. My family and I listened to the audiobook of it and LOVED it, None of us had trouble with the time jumps at all.

      Delete
  7. We have two in common. I loved Light also, but read it last year.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2015/12/sunrise-over-my-school.html

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.