"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Audiofile's Best YA Audiobook titles of 2014

A few days ago I made an audiobook round-up report here at Head Full of Books. (Check out the link.)
Every year I try to listen to as many YA titles on audiobooks as I can and I am always looking for lists of good book to listen to next. Today I found such a list, published in the December /January AudioFile Magazine. They have done the work for me, by identifying the best audiobooks of the year. It appears that the list is alphabetized, so think of them all on an equal level as far as excellence.

AudioFile's Favorite YA Titles of 2014
  • The Crossover by Kwame Alexander, read by Corey Allen (Recorded Books)*
  • Divided We Fall by Trent Reedy, read by Andrew Eiden, et al (Scholastic Audiobooks)
  • The Family Romanov by Candace Fleming, read by Kimberly Farr, et al (Listening Library)*
  • I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson, read by Julia Whelan and Jesse Bernstein (Brilliance Audio)*
  • I Am Malala, Young Reader's Edition by Malala Yousafzai and Patricia McCormick, read by Neela Vaswani (Hatchette Audio)
  • The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson, read by Julia Whelan and Luke Daniels (Brilliance Audio)*
  • Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern, read by Rebecca Lowman (Harper Audio)*
  • The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton; read by Cassandra Campbell (Brilliance Audio)*
  • We are the Goldens by Dana Rienhardt, read by Julia Whelan (Brilliance Audio)
  • We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, read by Ariadne Meyers  (Listening Library)*
  • The Young World by Christ Weitz, read by Jose Julian and Spencer Locke (Hatchette Audio)
In addition there were a few titles on Audiofile's favorite Children's books list perfectly fine for teens:
  • Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson, read by the author (Penguin Audio)*
  • Egg and Spoon by Gregory McGuire, read by Michael Page (Brilliance Audio)
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, read by full cast (Harper Audio)
The editors of the magazine remind us of what makes a good listening experience. " It is the alchemy of writing and performance, of interesting characters or fascinating facts, a pleasing voice and a favorite genre..." (AudioFile)

 Let's hope that 2015 is another fantastic year for audiobooks!

Happy listening.

*Books on the GKHS Mock Printz list. I'm happy to see these fabulous books on more than one list.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a good list! We got The Graveyard Book audiobook for our daughter for Christmas; she loves Neil Gaiman (both his writing and his voice) and Derek Jacobi's voice (he's in it too), so it was a perfect gift. (And I get to listen too!) My sister read I'll Give You the Sun and loved it, so that's another that's on my list to read or listen to. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.