Tuesday, January 27, 2015
TTT: Upcoming Book Club selections I am looking forward to reading and discussing
1. Whistling Season by Ivan Doig. I read this book several years ago but am looking forward to a reread. The book deals a lot with a time period in our past when one-room school houses were not uncommon. My grandmother attended one in Illinois when she was growing up. Doig is a master storyteller. This book is a personal favorite.
2. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. My daughter read this and recommends it highly. I understand it is very humorous.
3. A History of the World in Six Glasses by Tom Standage. A friend told me that her book club had a fabulous discussion after reading this book.
4. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. I read this book for one book club but missed the discussion. Now my other club plans on reading it and I look forward to an insightful discussion.
5. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I can't remember if I have discussed this book in a club or just with everyone else who will listen to me talk about this book. Read it if you haven't. Amazing story.
6. The 100-year-old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Sounds pretty funny and quirky.
7. Defending Jacob by William Landry. A father, an attorney, has to defend his son in court against a murder charge.
8. The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. Historical fiction is usually good fodder for discussions.
9. Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle. A disfigured boy creates games of survival and strategy for people online to play but what about his life?
10. Three Me in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. I want to have an excuse to read this old classic.