"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

TTT: Upcoming Book Club selections I am looking forward to reading and discussing

Top Ten Tuesday: this week's topic is to list books I want to read in a book club setting. Since I am in two book clubs I know that my favorite books for clubs are those that generate good discussions.


1. Whistling Season by Ivan Doig. I read this book several years ago but am looking forward to a reread. The book deals a lot with a time period in our past when one-room school houses were not uncommon. My grandmother attended one in Illinois when she was growing up. Doig is a master storyteller. This book is a personal favorite.

2. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. My daughter read this and recommends it highly. I understand it is very humorous.

3. A History of the World in Six Glasses by Tom Standage. A friend told me that her book club had a fabulous discussion after reading this book.

4. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. I read this book for one book club but missed the discussion. Now my other club plans on reading it and I look forward to an insightful discussion.

5. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I can't remember if I have discussed this book in a club or just with everyone else who will listen to me talk about this book.  Read it if you haven't. Amazing story.


6. The 100-year-old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Sounds pretty funny and quirky.

7. Defending Jacob by William Landry. A father, an attorney, has to defend his son in court against a murder charge.

8. The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. Historical fiction is usually good fodder for discussions.

9. Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle. A disfigured boy creates games of survival and strategy for people online to play but what about his life?

10. Three Me in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. I want to have an excuse to read this old classic.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad that we're reading Defending Jacob; I've wanted to read it for a long time! Now I have a good reason. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.