"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunday Salon...June 30th

Monthly wrap-up...June 2013

The photo: is my stuffed Muffy Vanderbear Jam Session bear and her little old-fashioned stove. I had to dig around to find it but on the heels of making so much jam this summer it was appropriate to display it now. When my girls were young we collected a lot of the Muffy Vanderbear outfits for different occasions. It is still fun to get them out occasionally.

Weather today: Gorgeous and hot. We had our nieces here for lunch and we sat outside and sweated in 90 degree heat, very warm for the Northwest. This past week started rainy and cool, temperatures in the 60s, then Wednesday the weather started to turn and the barometer swung wildly causing both my daughter and I to get killer headaches. The last half week has been sunny and warm.

Yesterday: We stayed close to home and worked in the yard (Don) and made jam (Carly and me.) Don finally got out and trimmed the branches off the maple tree that were damaged in the winter ice storm over a year ago. It was a big, tiring job.  I helped but only toward the very end as he was trying to cut up the limbs and fit them into our recycling barrel. While he was out, Carly and I were in the house making two batches of raspberry freezer jam. We have found the berries from the Puyallup Valley are fairly fragile so we need to deal with them almost as soon as they are picked. It wasn't the best day to make jam since it was so warm but it wasn't an odious task and now we have raspberry jam again.  I missed raspberry season last year so we haven't had any of our favorite jam for almost a year.

This month: June is a difficult time for me with the closing out of the school year, collecting and repairing all the textbooks, and getting ready for next year which includes inservice classes. I find my energy is pretty low after days of schlepping textbooks so I usually don't get much done at home including reading. This year, after all the school things were done and I was ready for summer vacation, I came down with a summer cold which laid me up for a few days last week-end and the early part of the week. Now that I am feeling better it is time for real summer activities to begin.

This evening: The Taste of Tacoma--- a food and music celebration at Point Defiance Park.Time to listen to a little jazz as we nibble on food from local restaurants....Woops, just got back from said event.  My daughter and I did a little wine tasting while we all listened to some jazz and people-watched.


Books completed this month (click on the hyperlinks to read my reviews):


Currently reading:

  • Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
  • Winger by Andrew Smith

Scripture: Luke 15:11-32, The Parable of the Lost Son, should be renamed: The Parable of the Faithful Son, The Loving Father, and the Forgiven Son!

Prayers for: Our friends' son who has been in the hospital for a month after he was hit by a car on his bike. He has a collapsed lung that is still leaking.

In the garden: We played our first game of bocce ball for this summer this week.

From the kitchen: Roasted Vegetables, BBQ Tri-Tip Marinated in teriyaki, Marionberry Cobbler.

5 comments:

  1. Way to rep the Ducks! Happy summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a good time! Thanks for stopping by my Monday post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bocce ball is perfect for summer, that sounds like fun! Post textbooks is always a slow time for me, but I've been on a YA kick so far this summer and I am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - your jam sounds delicious!

    Glad you are feeling better now. I hate those killer headaches caused by changing air pressure. We've had nonstop heat, humidity, and rain here! The wettest June on record, since they began keeping track!

    You read some good books this month! Hopefully, you can now begin to enjoy your summer vacation - looks like this weekend was a good start!

    Sue

    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    Book By Book

    Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG THE STOVE!! I have been searching for one for a long time... Still no luck! I'm jealous!! ;D

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.