"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Another hilarious summer reading list

Piles of summer reading books.  Will I get to them all? 

Another summer.  Another hilarious summer reading list that is probably impossible to complete.
Every summer I set my sites on reading new YA lit, old favorites, book club selections, and books that might entice reluctant readers.  Most of my summer reading is done for the expressed reason of finding good books to recommend to my students in the fall.

Here are the books I hope to get to:

Mock Printz preview books:

  • Winger by Andrew Smith
  • Etiquette Espionage by Carriger
  • Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys 
  • Summer Prince by Alaya Johnson
  • Darius and Twig by Walter Dean Myers
  • Maggot Moon by Gardner
  • Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
  • Midwinter Blood by Sedgwick
  • A Corner of White by Moriarty
  • Teeth by Moskowitz
  • Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Medina
  • Imprisoned: The Betrayal of the Japanese Americans
  • Emancipation Proclamation by Bolden
Book Club Selections (that I know of to date):
  • Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
  • Saving Cee-Cee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
Of interest to my teen readers:
  • Kissing Shakespeare by Pamela Mingle
  • Deathwatch by Robb White
  • Crap Kingdom by DC Pierson
  • Quarantine Lex Thomas
  • Burger Wuss by M.T. Anderson
  • The Silence of Murder by Mackall
  • Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
  • Henry Franks by Peter Salomon
  • Trapped by Michael Northrup
  • This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer Smith
  • The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door by Karen Finneyfrock
For my Reading Challenges:
  • Period 8 by Chris Crutcher (Chris Crutcher Challenge)
  • Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (Big Book Summer Challenge)
  • The White Bicycle by Beverley Brenna (Read all the ALA Award books)
My reading goal is usually 30 books so I might be able to accomplish this list if other books don't push their way in and crowd out these.  Wish me luck!

What's on your reading list?


3 comments:

  1. I definitely think you should make Beautiful Creatures a priority. They're not super brilliant or perfect, but that series is still a lovable favorite and my friends and I (typical teenagers) love it! Enjoy your list:)

    Esty @ Boarding with Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. My list is long, also! I have such good intentions, but there is no way I can read all the books I want to. I finished a rather mediocre tween novel yesterday, but have so many adult selections checked out from the library. I hate giving up on them, but some are just requiring too much thought process for me to want to read at the pool while watching my girls. I just started the new Mary Kay Andrews today and am loving it. I'd love to find time to do a re-read of The Great Gatsby...the list is endless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My summer reading list seems to be a bit overzealous this year too! I wish you luck on your endeavor.

    A book that I read recently that entertained and enlightened me (a quick-fun summer read) is by author Gemini Adams entitled, “The Facebook Diet”(http://www.unplugseries.com/) The book really looks at how good, bad, healthy, connecting, isolating and addictive Facebook is! The book features 50 very funny cartoons that begin with “You know you’re a Facebook addict when….” As a self-proclaimed Facebook addict, I saw myself in just about every one of the funny illustrations & passages in this book. The latter part of the book offers tips on an effective “digital detox.”
    This book is definitely a must-read, lighter look into the very real issue of social media addiction and will be a great gift for all the internet addicts out there with a message to stop, get away from that gadget, and interact with a real person! Hope you will give it a read or perhaps give it to a friend who is ruled by social media :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.