"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Top Books of 2010

It's Top Ten Tuesday and today's list is:  What are the top books of 2010?

The Broke and Bookish

Top Ten Young Adult Books of 2010
(Books I read in 2010, not necessarily published in 2010)
1. Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes---This is my favorite book of the year by far.  It won the Printz Honor last year and it deserved it! (c. 2009)
2.  The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson---Not only is this book a teen romance story, it is a story about grief and loss and finding ones way. Every single girl I've recommend it to has liked it. (c. 2010)
3.  The Last Summer of the Death Warriors by Francisco X. Stork---This modern tale includes lots of literary allusions to Don Quixote.  I quoted from this book often in the weeks following my reading of it. (Audiobook; c. 2010)
4.  (Tie) Graceling (c.2008) and Fire (c. 2009) by Kristin Cashore--- Very imaginative and captivating fantasy series with Fire being the prequel to Graceling. (Audiobooks)
5.  The Cardturner by Louis Sachar---This book, about a boy who learns how to play bridge and in the process learns a lot about himself and the world, really caught me by the surprise how much I liked it. Sachar said that it is his best book and he wrote Holes.  What does that say? (c. 2010)
6.  Half Brother by Kenneth Oppel---I learned a lot about animal rights from this book.  It seems like a hokey premise to raise a chimp as a son/brother, but it works and I really cared about the outcome. (Audiobook; c. 2010)
7.  The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness--- The first book in the Chaos Walking series this book had me from the very first line and kept me in its grip throughout. (c. 2008)
8.  (Tie) Deadline (c.2007) and Staying Fat for Sarah Brynes by Chris Crutcher (c.1993)---I became a Chris Crutcher fan because of these two books.
9.  Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan---I clutched this book to my chest the minute I finished reading it. I was irritated by all the foul language (authors, why do you do that?) but the storyline soared to a fabulous crescendo. (c. 2010)
10.  Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi---Science fiction, adventure, environmentalism, romance, suspense...this book has it all.  It was a National Book Award finalist in the children's division this year. (Audiobook; c. 2010)


Honorable MentionSorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick (c. 2010); Revolver by Marcus Sedgwick (c. 2010); Purple Heart by Patricia McCormick (c. 2009)

*If I have some time later I will come back and create another Top Ten list of books we read for book club.

15 comments:

  1. I need to try another John Green book. I liked (but didn't love) Alaska. Perhaps I'd heard too much about it.

    Here is my Top Ten of 2010 post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-ten-books-ive-read-in-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top 10 Books I Read in 2010

    1. The Trophy Bride's Tale by Cyrilla Barr
    2. The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
    3. The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory
    4. Ghost Hunt: Chilling Tales of the Unknown by Jason Dawes & Grant Wilson
    5. The Confessions of Catherine de Medici by C.W. Gortner
    6. A Man and His Maniac: The Bunkie Story by Charles Franklin Emery III
    7. Citizen Mitten by William Voedisch
    8. High on a Mountain by Tommie Lyn
    9. Expiation by Greg Messel
    10. A Season of Seduction by Jennifer Haymore

    ReplyDelete
  3. I clutched this book to my chest the minute I finished reading it.

    So did I! Literally! That book was so good, and I don't mind the language (particularly as that's how many, if not most, teenagers talk/think).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think about half of these are on my TBR and half I've never even heard of so thanks for putting them on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a single book on your list (The Knife of Never Letting Go is sitting on my shelf waiting for me tho!) so you've definitely given me some books to check out for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GUH I loved The Cardturner too. I get so excited when Sachar comes out with something new. He's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Graceling and Fire as well, but I read them in 2009. I can't wait for Bitterblue. I hope she releases it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen Will Grayson, Will Grayson on several lists...must be a really good one! Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-ten-tuesday-best-of-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Cardturner! that's one of the ones that only barely didn't make it to my list. It was lovely. Ooh and i loved Deadline too. And you have added to my TBR pile for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED Graceling as well! I still need to read Fire, should get to that one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Tales of the Madman Underground, Will Grayson, and Sky is Everywhere, too. Sadly haven't read the rest yet. Like you said, so many books, so little time...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, I LOVED Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had to read it for my YA Lit class, and I am so glad that my professor introduced me to Chris Crutcher. I have yet to read anything else by him, but Deadline was the next one she recommended to us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any of these books :( *scurries off to bookstore*

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.