Broke and Bookish is: What books do you eagerly look forward to reading in 2011? I have spent the night contemplating this question and decided that with so many books on my TBR pile that it is hard to be excited about up-coming attractions. So instead of books for myself I've decided to answer this question as books for my students/for my library. Many teenagers seemingly "live" to read the next book in their favorite series or from their favorite authors. Here are a few that kids have already asked me about (in no particular order):
1. Ranger's Apprentice, Book #10: The Emperor of Nihon-Ja by John Flanagan. It is due out in April 2011. I have more devoted readers to this series than any other. Both boys and girls love it.
2. House of Night, Book #8: Awakened by P.C. and Kristin Cast. Due out January 4th. I'd better order this book today because girls will want this book the minute they get back from Winter Break. This is the series that many girls went to after they had finished the Twilight series.
3. Blue Bloods, Book #6: Bloody Valentine by Melissa De la Cruz. The publication date is December 28th but I won't be at school then so I will count this one in the 2011 list. Girls also go to this series if they aren't sick of vampires, yet.
4. Shiver, Book #3: Forever by Maggie Stiefvater. I don't often read more than the first book in a series but I really liked Shiver so I think I'll give Linger (#2) and Forever a try. This is the love story between a girl and a werewolf, which sound hokey but it works. It is not due out until July.
5. Blood Ninja II: The Revenge of Lord Ota by Nick Lake. I just discovered that this book has already been released so I will order this one immediately. I have a few devoted followers of this new series and they'll be glad to see a new installment.
6. Something new by Stephenie Meyer. Anything? I can't find anything in the works except An Illustrated Guide to the Twilight series due out this Spring. Does anyone else know anything?
7. Inheritance Cycle (Eragon series), book #4 by Christopher Paolini. I have no idea how to write a short book so I shouldn't be critical of an author taking his time writing a long, complicated book but fans of the Eragon series, including me, are impatient for the last book in this marvelous series. Will it be out in 2011?
8. Bridge of Clay by Marcus Zusak. This book is supposed to come out in February but I wonder if that means it will be published in Australia at that time not in the USA yet. Anyway, I'm eager for a new Zusak book. Aren't you?
9. Beka Cooper Trilogy, Book Three: Mastiff by Tamora Pierce. Ms. Pierce has a very devoted following and it will be nice to have the conclusion to this excellent trilogy. It is set to be released sometime in 2011 though I don't see a publication date anywhere.
10. The sequel to The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie. I know he's writing it. I heard Alexie read the first chapter. Will it be done and out in 2011. I sure hope so.
What books are waiting for and hope to see in 2011?