"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Friday Quotes, August 14

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.
 
Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now: 

Title: Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit by Daniel Quinn.

Book Beginning: 
The first time I read the ad, I choked and cursed and spat and threw the paper to the floor. Since even this didn't seem to be quite enough, I snatched it up, marched into the kitchen, and shoved it into the trash. 
Friday 56: 
Nothing much came out of me for ninety seconds or so, except maybe waves of baffled fury. Then I said, "That's not fair."
Comment: I am really taken with this book, though I am not far into it. The story line is actually not unfolding as I expected. Both of these quotes express how I have felt at times.

19 comments:

  1. Both of those quotes made me smile, I can really relate to those feelings!
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/friday-reads-and-friday-56.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't a title I'm at all familiar with but loved the little teasers so I may have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like when a book surprises me. Happy reading.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dying to know what was in the ad! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I love that book! It is one that has been very instrumental in my life. Enjoy! I really need to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know someone else has heard of it. It is on the summer reading list for our in-coming seniors and I figured I'd best read at least a few of the books on the list. So far, so good. I can tell it is going to be very philosophical.

      Delete
  6. I like both quotes. I haven't heard of this book before and hope you are enjoying it. This week I am spotlighting Dragonseye by Anne McCaffrey which has been living on TBR mountain forever. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Anne - I can certainly relate with the feelings expressed by the protagonist. Sometimes you just have to act out the anger a little longer until you feel it is enough. Otherwise, you'd bite off the head of the first person to speak to you. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I agree. It isn't enough to stomp around, one has to rip up the paper, too. Ha!

      Delete
  8. I love the temper tantrum. LOL!!

    ENJOY the book.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choice. You hooked my on the beginning! Sounds kind of like me. LOL

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/08/14/the-friday-56-73-the-haunting-of-gillespie-house/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you continue to enjoy your read. I love when a book surprises you. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Easy feelings to relate to at times. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of anger from this narrator. I hope he finds some peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm curious over the beginning and the animosity.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find the snippets quite intriguing...I'm off to find out more about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. There were lots of things to think about for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.