"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Dedications... take a look

While nosing around on Twitter this morning I ran into this list of 26 of the Greatest Book Dedications You Will Ever Read (Buzz Feed). Please take a look at the whole list. I know you will enjoy it.

Here is one of my favorites from The Land of Stories by Chris Colfer:


The list got me thinking how I usually ignore the dedications in books. I jumped up to peruse my bookshelf to see if there were any hidden gems.  Most of the dedications were predictable but a few were worth mentioning:

The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig: "To Ann and Marshall Nelson. In at the beginning and reliably fantastic all the way."

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell: "For Kari, who's better than fiction."

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger: "To Robin: The country ahead is as wild a spread/As ever we're likely to see/The horses are dancing to start the advance---/Won't you ride on with me?"

All of these are sweet and thoughtful, then I opened up Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach and just about lost it. This doesn't really need any explanations!


Ha-ha! Woody! Get it?

3 comments:

  1. Those are great! You have me wanting to go through all my books to look at the dedications!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing, I actually love dedications and I always read them, so it's awesome to see some good ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I love the dedication pages, it fascinates me. I enjoy seeing if they're funny, or heartfelt, or whatever. I am off to read the whole article, thanks for sharing iT!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.