"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Review and quotes: THE LAST THING HE TOLD ME


Title:
The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave

Book Beginnings/First Line Friday Quote: 

(Part One: If You Answer the Door for Strangers...) You see it all the time on television. There's a knock at the front door. And, on the other side, someone is waiting to tell you the news that changes everything.

Friday56 quote: 
(These Are Not Your Friends) I go back into the house long enough to grab Owen's laptop. I'm not going to sit there thinking about what Grady said, and all the things he seemed to leave out, which was bothering me more.

Summary:
Before Owen Michaels disappears, he manages to smuggle a note to his beloved wife of one year: Protect her. Despite her confusion and fear, Hannah Hall knows exactly to whom the note refers: Owen’s sixteen-year-old daughter, Bailey. Bailey, who lost her mother tragically as a child. Bailey, who wants absolutely nothing to do with her new stepmother.

As Hannah’s increasingly desperate calls to Owen go unanswered; as the FBI arrests Owen’s boss; as a US Marshal and FBI agents arrive at her Sausalito home unannounced, Hannah quickly realizes her husband isn’t who he said he was. And that Bailey just may hold the key to figuring out Owen’s true identity—and why he really disappeared.

Hannah and Bailey set out to discover the truth, together. But as they start putting together the pieces of Owen’s past, they soon realize they are also building a new future. One neither Hannah nor Bailey could have anticipated. (Publisher)
Review: I've seen The Last Thing He Told You on a lot of bloggers' list the past two year, so when I bumped into a copy at the library book "store" I snatched it up for a $1. Only after my purchase did I notice a sticker on the book "Stream it on 🍎TV." Hmm.  "I guess this book really is popular," I thought, "if it is already serialized on TV."  As you know, sometimes that is good, but often that is bad. If the book's plot is so over-the-top and hyperactive, it won't be one I will like.

But I was pleasantly surprised. The Last Thing He Told Me is a mystery. Hannah recently married a man, Owen, who rarely reveals anything of his past. He has one daughter, Bailey, from his first marriage. When he suddenly disappears, Bailey is left alone with her step-mother and the two try to piece together the pieces. Who is Owen? Why did he run? Where is he? Why do the facts not add up? As the duo are left on their own, they find that the US Marshall's office and the FBI are both looking for Owen. This makes them realize that things are looking bad for Owen. Perhaps they can piece together the few comments he has made to find the answers and hopefully to find him before others do.

I liked the book, which was a fast read for me. But oddly when I decided to review the book today, I had to remind myself what the book was about. Having only finished it two weeks ago, it was surprising how much I'd forgotten. Now to be fair, that may say more about me than the book -- you know, aging brain and everything -- but it may be that I wasn't really emotionally invested in the book. Not sure. At any rate, if you want a quick read and enjoy mysteries, this book is for you. Then afterwards we can all figure out how to stream the series on our TVs.

My rating: 4 stars.

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader. First Line Friday is hosted by Reading is My Super Power. Share the opening quote from current book.The Friday56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56 to share. Visit these two websites to participate. Click on links to read quotes from books other people are reading. It is a great way to make blog friends and to get suggestions for new reading material.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.