"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, July 14, 2023

Planet Book Tag


Planet Book Tag
: I got the idea for this book tag from @Haylee.reads (Instagram) and A Great Read (Blogger)

All of my answers are books read in 2023 only. There may be better answers from previous years but this way you'll see what I've been reading THIS year and I won't have to search too far back.

Mercury: Best Written
Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver. Every single book she's written, I've loved. Her writing earned her a Pulitzer Prize this year. (Read in January.)


Venus: Prettiest Cover
These Precious Days: Essays by Ann Patchett. I love the cover, both the front and the back, and the essay about the artist and why Patchett couldn't decide which painting to use, so she used both! (First book completed in 2023.)


Earth: Where I'd Live
Four Seasons in Rome by Anthony Doerr. The first time I visited Rome in 2012 I told my husband we needed to figure out a way to live here for more than a few weeks. Why not a year or more? I'd love it. (Read in May.)


Mars: Worst Villain
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. The villains in this marvelous story are Nazis! (Need I say more?) [Started Mid-March, finished late-April.]


Jupiter: Longest Read
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. The version I read was 1055 pages long, but many other editions weigh in at over 1200 pages. (Started in January, finished the end of March.)


Saturn: Difficult Read
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Such a bleak story set in a post-apocalypse world. (Read in February.)


Uranus: Changed My Life
Queer Ducks (and Other Animals): The Natural World of Animal Sexuality by Eliot Schrefer. This book opened my eyes to the varying degrees of sexuality in both animals and humans. It would be widely read but I fear it will be widely banned these days. 😒(Finished July 1st.)


Neptune: Made Me Cry
Starfish by Lisa Fipps. Ellie is fat-shamed by classmates and family members, including her mother. It brought back memories of similar stuff happening to me as a kid and I cried for myself and the character in this book. (Just finished.)


Pluto (dwarf planet): Powerful MC
The Mountains Sing by Nguyá»…n Phan Quế Mai. I interpreted this topic about a powerful MC as the best audiobook narrator I've listened to this year. Quyen Gno narrated this book set in Vietnam. Hearing her narration brought the Vietnamese language/words alive for my ears. It is appropriate that this answer belongs to a dwarf planet since audiobook narrators don't often get the love they deserve. (Listened to in April.)


-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.