"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, November 3, 2022

Review (of sorts): RED SCARE


Want to read a graphic novel that will surprise and delight you? Try Red Scare by Liam Francis Walsh, it has everything a good graphic novel should have: sympathetic characters, really bad 'bad guys', a bit of the truth mixed in.

In the aftermath of the Korean War, Peggy's small hometown is rife with anti-Communist hysteria. But Peggy has bigger problems: She's struggling to recover from polio. Taunted by her classmates, Peggy just wants to be left alone, but then she stumbles across a mysterious object that gives her the power to fly. Unscrupulous operatives from the American and Soviet governments seek the object to overturn the tense political stalemate, and Peggy finds herself smack in the middle of the Cold War arms race (Publisher).
The plot did not stay on the track I thought it would when I first picked it up, leading to my delight. Set in the 1950s in the height of the the red scare , I expected a bit of history lesson on that time period and there was a bit of that. But the mysterious object led us down uncharted roads where Peggy, her family, and friends could finally find acceptance and a new resolve to move forward in a positive direction. Loved it.

The book is targeted at middle grade readers but I know it would also delight older teens and most adults.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.