"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

TTT: Thanksgiving Special


 

Top Ten Tuesday: Books/Stories I'd Like to Read that Contain a Thanksgiving Theme

This week I am highlighting books/stories I haven't read but want to. All of them include a Thanksgiving scene. If you've read any of these let me know what you thought of it.


 

The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler -- Long on my TBR because I enjoyed the movie so much, this one showed up on all the lists of books which include a Thanksgiving meal. (198

The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote -- a short story by the famous writer of In Cold Blood. This story is pulled from his own life. 

Menus: A Book for Your Meals and Memories by Jacques Pepin -- Created by a chef whose journal not only notes his menus but includes illustrations of his feasts. Oprah included this on her favorite things list last year.

Ankle Soup: A Thanksgiving Story by Maureen Sullivan -- A children's book told from the perspective of the French bulldog who walks around New York and experiences the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. 

We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga by Traci Sorrell -- Otsaliheliga is a word used by the Cherokee Nation as a reminder to be grateful for their blessings and to reflect on their struggles. This is another children's book.

The Book of Delights: Essays by Ross Gay -- I haven't read anything by this author yet but I do enjoy reading essays, especially those which focus on the positive.

Thanks a Million by Nikki Grimes -- A poetry book by the famed poet Nikki Grimes. This is a children's book which I'm sure adults should enjoy, too.

1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving by Catherine O'Neill Grace -- Isn't it time we all quit telling ourselves the old stories which are wrong?

The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney -- This book has a very memorable family and face it, holidays are often times of great dysfunction.

Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade by Melissa Sweet -- It is on my bucket list to actually attend a Macy's parade in person some day. After reading this I should know more about what it takes to get those big balloons in the air.

 

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.