"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 10, 2022

TTT: Books I Read on a Vacation

 Top Ten Tuesday: Books I've Read on a Vacation 


 

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
I read this tome on a summer vacation to Whistler, B.C. when my kids were little so we had to leave time in our schedule for naps. I remember laying on the big king-sized bed reading and reading. I had to, it is over 1000 pages long.

Deacon King Kong by James McBride
My husband and I listened to this book driving to and home from our last vacation this year, our 2022 Labor Day vacation.

Stranger Planet 2 by Nathan W. Pyl
I read this darling and so funny little book during a recent vacation to Palm Springs, CA. It was so hot outside, we spent a lot of time inside reading.

The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green
Another book my husband and I listened to together on a vacation trip to Lake Tahoe last year, 2021.

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir
Same summer as above. We listened to this audiobook as we traveled for a family reunion vacation at a golf resort.

The Soul of America by Jon Meacham
Back in November 2018 my husband and I took a weekend vacation to the Oregon Coast. We listened to this nonfiction book by a historian and it was like a salve on a wound. He had a lot to say about our political issues in context to history.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
My daughter and I drove across country during the summer of 2018 from New York to home in Washington State and listened to audiobooks the whole way. This was one of our favorites. We made it into a vacation with sight-seeing at Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands National Park, and the Corn Palace.

Uprooted: The Japanese American Experience During WWII by Albert Marrin
A weird choice for vacation reading, I know. It was the fall of 2017 and I was newly retired. But I was also a first round judge for Cybils for nonfiction books. I had to read something like 45 books in 2 months for it. I couldn't take nine days off for a vacation to China so I loaded up my e-reader and away we flew over the ocean. I was reading this particular book while we were racing across the country on a super fast train going from Bejing to Xian.
 
Looking for Alaska by John Green and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
I read both of these books while on a vacation of a lifetime in Italy the summer of 2014. I picked them up in the hotels where we stayed on the shelf for tourists to leave a book and pick up a book. They were both rereads for me but now hold special memories associated with a fantastic trip.

A Good Man is Hard To Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Conner
I am book-ending my list with books I've read at Whistler. We own a time share there and so we often cross the border for lovely vacations. This book is made up of very memorable stories. I read them sitting by the pool overlooking Whistler and Blackcomb ski areas the summer of 2016.

Clearly I don't usually read light, fluffy reads while on vacation. Ha!

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.