"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 3, 2022

TTT: Recently read Children's Books with my short reviews.


Today's topic is related to favorite bookstores. I did a post on this very topic two years ago. Here is that post if you'd like to see what bookstores I'd like to visit. (TTT Bookstores.) If you want to read a book about bookstores worthy of driving out of the way, check out this one: Footnotes from the World's Greatest Bookstores by Bob Eckstein.

 Top Ten Tuesday: Recently read Children's books with my short reviews.


A Library
by Nikki Giovanni
Poet Nikki Giovanni imagines going to all the places in her head that the books in a library once took her as a young girl. Libraries are magical places. 
Published: 2022; read Sept. 27, 2022
Rating 5 stars


Imasaurus by Anne Ylvisaker
As it turns out children (and all humans) have lots of the same bones and body parts are T-Rex. This hilarious book, which is favorite of my five-year-old grandson, is tremendously fun to read aloud. "Iamasaurus. I am noodlevorous. One of the genus Ridiculorous. Mothers abhor us. Babies adore us. We romp and we stomp and we chomp on the floras."
Published: 2022; read Sept. 27, 2022. 
Rating 4 stars


Dictionary for a Better World: Poems, Quotes, and Anecdotes from A to Z by Irene Latham and Charles Waters
I love this "dictionary" full of words for a better world. Each word has a poem, a quote, and a personal anecdote related to it. I loved, loved, loved this book whose target audience is middle grade students.
Published in 2020; I read on Sept. 26, 2022.
Rating 5 stars.


Goodnight Racism by Ibram X. Kendi
We have to get this right. We have to stop being racists. A good place to start is with our young. Read this to the children in your life and start the process of becoming a better ancestor. 
Published in 2022; Read on Sept 26, 2022.
Rating 5 stars.
 

 
CDC? by William Steig
A word game in a book. (CDC=See the Sea). I've had this book on my shelf for years because I used to think it was hilarious. I didn't laugh when I reread it this summer. Humor changes over time? Not sure. 
Published in 1984; read on Sept. 13th.
Rating 3 stars. 

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema
This classic children's book won the Caldecott Award for good reason. I read it with my grandson as part of the '100 Books You Should Hear Before Kindergarten' project with him. It is funny yet has a good morale of the story.
Published in 1975, read on Sept 8th.
Rating 5 stars.



Woke: A Young Poet's Call to Justice by Mahogany Browne
Poems that hit on all aspect of justice and injustice. Impactful. Target audience middle grade students. 
Published in 2020; read on Sept 25th.
Rating 4 stars.

Watercress by Andrea Wang
Last year's Caldecott winner is a precious story about a girl who gets a chance to embrace her Chinese heritage.
Published 2021, read Aug. 5th
Rating 5 stars

 

Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson 
Selections of Dickinson's poems with beautiful and fun illustrations. A nice collection.
Published in 1994; read Oct. 3, 2022.
Rating 3.75 stars.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.