"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Reviews: Two historical fiction novels-in-verse by the same author


This year as part of my role as a Cybils judge for the Poetry division I, and the other judges in the same division, are also evaluating novels-in-verse as a separate category. I was pretty excited about this prospect since I am very familiar with this type of YA novel from my time as a teen librarian. I was always on the hunt for new and excellent novels-in-verse for my voracious readers who got hooked on the format by reading books like Crank (Hopkins), Shout (Anderson),  The Crossover (Alexander), and many others. I didn't have much luck getting my readers to move over and read memoirs-in-verse, though there were so many excellent ones to choose from. My favorites were Black Girl Dreaming (Woodson), How I Discovered Poetry (Nelson), and Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings by Margarita Engle. Of the three memoirs I liked Engle's best not because of her story but because I thought her poetry was the best. Heck, in my opinion, if I read a novel/memoir-in-verse I expect good poetry or the author might as well have written in prose.

Imagine my delight when I found two of Margarita Engle's historical fiction novels-in-verse on our list to evaluate: Rima's Rebellion: Courage in a Time of Tyranny -- about the suffrage movement in Cuba and a brave young heroine -- and Singing with Elephants -- incorporating information about the first Latin American winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature, Gabriela Mistral, into a fictional story about a young writer who helps save an elephant baby. I'd say by the length of each book, under 200 pages, and the age of the protagonists, that both books are targeted at middle grade students, 5-8th grades.

In Rima's Rebellion a young girl, Rima, lives with her mother and grandmother on land owned by a wealthy man, her father. She is his illegitimate daughter (called natural children), which means she cannot have his last name, cannot inherit any of his wealth, and it makes her subject to all kinds of bullying from people in the community and the church, often being shunned by them. In addition, during this time period (1930s and before) Cuba had an archaic adultery law where the women caught in the sexual act could be killed, but not the men! Rima, her mother, and her famous grandmother all joined the rebellion to fight for the vote for women (suffrage) while at the same time fighting for social changes to remove these archaic laws. Change takes a long time and the story occurs over almost a decade, though women had been fighting for the right to vote much longer than this. When the women finally won the right to vote in 1934 they weren't actually allowed to vote until 1936. 

Rima is trained as a typesetter and ultimately works at publishing subversive poetry flyers and books. Here is an example from page 126:

When poets start asking for me as their favorite
typesetter, I feel flattered but confused -- why me?
Because of my name, is the universal answer: Rima.
They think of me as a walking, living, breathing
rhyme!

Singing with Elephants, the second book Engle published in 2022, is a charming story about a young girl, Oriol, who recently moved from her beloved Cuba. She wants to become a writer but has to work at her parent's veterinary clinic. One day Oriol happens to strike up a conversation with a new neighbor and tells her about her desire to become a writer. The neighbor, who is later identified as Gabriela Mistral, a famous Latin American poet and humanitarian, offers to help Oriol. Here is a poem about Oriol's gratitude toward her new teacher, from page 99:

Ode to My Poetry Teacher

courage
is a dance of words
on paper
as graceful as an elephant
the size of love

gracias
thank you
for metaphors
and similes
vowel rhymes
counted lines
and flowing ones
free verse
and formal
wild
natural
musical
me

Oriol shares with Ms. Mistral about the pregnant elephant, Chandra, that her parents are tending and how she is on baby-watch with the rest of the family. During her time with the elephant, Oriol learns that the breed sings or hums as one of their forms of communication. This aspect of the story was so beautiful to me. After the birth Oriol writes a poem about the experience, from page 121:

Dreams of Humming

Chandra's language come back
while I'm asleep, all the hmmmms
that sounded as if she were
pleading with the air
to transform
her pain
into music.

New life
from ancient,
she seemed to announce
inside the dream world
where words
are not needed.

I am not an expert on all the poetic forms but I do know good poetry when I read/feel it. That is how I know that Margarita Engle is a wonderful poet and her novels-in-verse are so excellent. I especially loved the poetry in Singing with Elephants.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.