"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, August 22, 2022

TTT: Summer book ratings


Top Ten Tuesday: Summer books ratings.

I'm off the board this week with a completely different topic than prescribed. Why? Two reasons. One, I could only think of two book series I wish would go on. Apparently I am easily satisfied with endings. Thinking two wouldn't make for a very exciting post I decided to answer a question I have for myself. Which is-- Why have I been feeling down and grumpy about my summer book selections, thinking I've made bad choices so I have dawdled through a bunch of them? Is it me, the books, or am I having a misconception? 

I decided to share my Goodreads rating for all the books I've read (or are currently reading) this summer. Then I'll do a little math to see if my suspicions are true: that it hasn't been a stellar summer for me and books.

One more note: Goodreads only allows for full number ratings, no 3.5 or 4.25 numbers. I do give books decimals when I rate them on my blog. But for the sake of being straight forward, I am pretending that all books with one number rating are equal. I've also sorted them alphabetically by title per the number ratings, so there is no other ranking happening. 

Lastly, the photos are taken from my Goodreads page. The number you see is the average of all Goodreads reader's reviews. The stars are how many stars I gave the book. Confused yet? I hope not. Stay with me below the photos of all the books for a little analysis.

2 stars. I read the print edition, which I own. Clearly I feel differently about this book than most other readers.

2 stars, so far. I'm only part way through this book. So far I don't like it. It is a book club selection so I will finish it but can't promise I won't resort to skimming.

2 stars. My grandson, aged four, really enjoyed listening to the audiobook when we were together but I found it dated and repetitive.

3 stars. I listened to this audiobook, another book club selection, with my husband. He liked it better than me (and everyone in the club.)

3 stars, so far. I'm mid-book in the audio version. The topic is abortion and this story is very depressing. Maybe my estimation will improve, but I'm doubtful. Another book club selection.

3 stars. I read the print version, which I own. Albom is a favorite author, this is not his best work.

3 stars. Print and audio. I thought this book had a lot to offer but I found too many holes in the plot at the same time. A book club selection.

 
4 stars. Print. Children's book.

 

4 stars. Graphic memoir. Impactful.

4 stars. Audio. Both my husband and I enjoyed this.

4 stars, so far. Print and audio. I'm 80% finished. I've plodded through this book all summer, yet I find it quite well-done.

4 stars. Print. My first book read this summer. I liked, not loved it.

4 stars. Print. A re-read.

4 stars. Print. A book club selection. Nonfiction.

4 stars. Print. A re-read.

4 stars. Audio. Pulitzer Prize winner 2022.

4 stars. Audio. I'm afraid this book suffered due to its juxtaposition to the audiobook I listened to right before it.

5 stars. Print. Poetry and analysis of poets.

5 stars. Audio. This book got better and better the further I got in to it.

5 stars. Audio. This may well be my favorite read of the summer.

5 stars. Audio. Or is this my favorite?

5 stars. Audio. Another book club selection. My only 5 star book club choice of the whole summer. Hmm.

Statistics: 

  • My average rating out of the 24 books is 3.87 
  • Compared to the average of Goodreads readers which is 4.14. 
  • Compared to my summer 2021 books rating of 24 books: 4.25

Analysis: Looking at straight statistics, my average rating is substantially lower than last year at the same time and for the same number of books. It is also lower than what Goodreads readers think. So my perceptions are correct. But why? As I was noting down information about the books, I noticed something. This summer has been a bad summer for book club choices. My average for those book club selections (six of them) is 3.33. Compare that to last summer when I also read six book club choices and my average rating was 4.0. Since these are the books I discuss and have to form a true opinion about, it doesn't surprise me that my low estimation of these books has tainted how I feel about the whole batch of books this summer.

I confess though that my pessimism has been contagious to each new book. I rarely read books and rate them with 2 stars. This summer I have three. In the past I think I just wouldn't have completed book I felt so poorly about. I'm hoping this negative attitude is coming to an end.

-Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.