"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, November 11, 2019

TTT: Favorite bookmarks

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite bookmarks.

I use any scrap of paper which is convenient when I need a bookmark. Often the hold notice from the library ends up being the paper I use. But if I think ahead I will grab an official bookmark, or an unofficial one.  See what I mean below.

1. I often use my ticket stubs from plays we've attended. I laughed when I found the CATS ticket this week since we saw that play over ten years ago.




























2. I created these bookmarks for Jane Austen Week in the library. They each have a quote from one of the books by my favorite author. 




























3. I like fancy bookmarks. Who doesn't? The one on the left is a homemade one with cut paper design. The Japanese kimono-wearing girl was purchased at the UN gift store in NYC many years ago. She is still protected by plastic wrap.

4. I often cut up greeting cards making the scraps into bookmarks. In fact, this is probably the most common type of bookmark that I use. When I went searching for examples today, however, this is the only I could find. It is from a birthday card given to me and doctored by my husband. So sweet.

5. I collect bookmarks where ever I go: bookstores, libraries, museums, and gift stores.

6. I was given a bunch of these bookmarks when my birthday gift arrived: my thumbprint made from titles of my favorite books. I don't love the bookmarks but they remind me of something I do love. 

 

21 comments:

  1. That last bookmark is pretty and original. I have some magnetic ones which I like, they never fall out of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have some well- loved bookmarks but sadly they're all gone now, so I don't have any- these are some good ideas though! I have used concert or theater ticket stubs before. And I'm always using receipts or whatever is lying around lol. I think I need to get a couple of bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually use what ever scrap of paper that is nearby.

      Delete
  3. I like your idea of using greeting cards as bookmarks. You have a nice collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to cut up card for library bookmarks but now that I am retired I just use them myself.

      Delete
  4. I love the look of that last one! Thanks for stopping by my TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so much fun. Old birthday cards or anniversary cards make me feel awash in memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some great bookmarks! I love the idea of using old greeting cards as bookmarks. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greeting cards were on my list, too!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful bookmarks! I tend to use the same one over and over (currently a Klimt painting), but I also use the free ones that come with my Book of the Month Club books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cut up greeting cards? That's such a great idea!

    Check out my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a collection! I wish I'd kept tickets from shows we've been to, what a practical souvenir. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love the Jane Austen bookmarks! She's my favorite author, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I never thought to repurpose a greeting card into a bookmark! That's such a neat idea and so meaningful. Thank you for sharing your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly, every time I come across another reader with HappyHello bookmarks I think YES someone else who suffers the hurt of not being able to buy ALL the bookmarks there :') They're so darn cute. Those harry potter ones are adorable too. I love quote bookmarks and sentimental ones are the best really. Thanks for sharing your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have several beautiful and special homemade bookmarks, but I sometimes can't find them, so I use a scrap of paper or ticket. My friend Marie(also a librarian) made me a gorgeous one with a quote from Heather Lende. I use that one all the time!
    '

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.