"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Review and quotes: The Canterville Ghost

 Title: "The Canterville Ghost" by Oscar Wilde

Book Beginnings:
When Mr. Hiram B. Otis, the American Minister, bought Canterville Chase, every one told him he was doing a very foolish thing, as there was no doubt at all that the place was haunted. Indeed, Lord Canterville himself, who was a man of the most punctilious honour, had felt it his duty to mention the fact to Mr. Otis when they came to discuss terms.
Friday 56 (from Chapter 6):
"Good heavens! child, where have you been?" said Mr. Otis, rather angrily, thinking that she had been playing some foolish trick on them. "Cecil and I have been riding all over the country looking for you, and your mother has been frightened to death. You must never play these practical jokes any more."
"Except on the Ghost! except on the Ghost!" shrieked the twins, as they capered about.
Summary: "The Canterville Ghost" was Wilde's first published story. It was originally published in two parts in the Court and Society Review in February and March of 1887. When the Otis family move into Canterville Chase they were forewarned about the ghost that haunted the place and indeed the very first night in their new home, they notice a spot on the carpet that the housekeeper assures them is blood but one she is unable to remove. When Mr Otis is able to remove the stain with Pinkerton's Champion Stain Remover they think all will go well. But the next morning, the stain is back. Several nights later the ghost decides to scare the new tenants to death. But when he breaks out his rattling chains routine, guaranteed to give anyone a fright, he is met by Mr. Otis himself holding a small bottle of Tammany Rising Sun Lubricator. He urges the ghost to use it unsparingly and the squeak should go away. From that point forward the whole family finds ways to flummox the ghost, who continues to try all his tricks at haunting the house and scaring the family. Now the trickster is having tricks played on him and he doesn't like it. One day the oldest daughter, Virginia, happens upon the ghost and decides to help him instead of playing another trick on him. For her help, she is richly rewarded.
As the ghost enters the room, a bucket of water tumbles onto his head to the delight of the twins.  Illustrations by Wallace Goldsmith, 1906.

Review: I really can't read horror novels or short stories because they honestly give me nightmares. But I decided to give "The Caterville Ghost" a try since I got a free copy of the audiobook/story and it is short. If I didn't like it, I figured, I wouldn't have wasted much time. I found, to my delight, that the book wasn't scary at all. In fact, it is quite funny. If you are looking for a funny ghost story, here it is.

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from current book.
Th
e Friday56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

18 comments:

  1. Based off of the summary, The Canterville Ghost sounds like a story I would like. I'm definitely going to add this one to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read this one before but I love Wilde's writing style, it's so fun and comical! I'll definitely add this one to my Kindle, it sounds like a great Christmas read! I hope you have a lovely weekend and do drop by my Friday Post if you have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one book that I would love to try some day. I am glad to hear that it isn't scary because that is one of the reasons I haven't picked it up yet. I hope that you continue to enjoy reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Great excerpts. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never read any Wilde. I know this is a favorite of my grandmother. Maybe I should give it a go?! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice surprise to get funny instead of horrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab choice, and I do LOVE that cover! I do love this author too! Seen a couple of his plays too! Really loved Dorian Gray!

    Happy Friday! Here is my Friday post. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cover! It's been a while since I read something by Oscar Wilde.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great teasers! I never read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not surprised that this one was funny. Oscar Wilde was a hoot. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not read this but I've seen a couple of adaptations. One of these days I'll get to the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, you're right this is not a scary story. Most of Wilde's stuff is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I may have to give this a try. It sounds like a fun read. I didn't much care for The Portrait of Dorian Gray, unfortunately, but I am willing to give Wilde another chance. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of this book before. I hope you're enjoying it!
    Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know Wilde wrote this story. No wonder it's so funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I honestly don't think I ever read this Oscar Wilde? But I'm not sure why. The beginning seems pretty interesting (as far as Wilde goes, anyway -- I have a hard time sometimes with his writing structure). I didn't know it was a funny read, but I might have to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always loved Oscar Wilde. His writing is very funny!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.