Monday, September 2, 2019
TTT: Genres and topics I avoid because they are outside my comfort zone
1. Formula books... you know the kind where you could write the story because you know the formula for the plot? I cannot make myself read these type of books and I feel disgusted if I ever get tricked into reading one.
2. Biographies/Memoirs of people where I disagree with their politics or values. I also don't read memoirs about people who are famous for a short time or because they are rich, etc. What could I possibly learn from them that I would care about?
3. Gratuitous sex or foul language---I don't avoid books that contain sex or language but it makes me cringe when it is over-the-top or gratuitous.
4. Horror genre---I don't DO scary. I mean it. I get scared by scary books (and movies) and I actually have nightmares. Not worth it.
5. ...and zombies; sea monsters... I'm sorry but I just don't like the books which add zombies or monsters to classics such as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
6. Manga---I like graphic novels a lot but manga confuses me. Even with the little chart which tells me what direction to go when reading, I always end up doing it backwards and then I can't enjoy the novel at all. I give up. If the book is written left to right I will read it, if not, I can't.
7. Sappy Romances---make me cringe.
What about you? What genres/types of books do you try to avoid?