"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, September 5, 2019

Friday Quotes: The Library Book

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

The book I am currently reading:

Title: The Library Book by Susan Orlean

Book Beginning: 
Even in Los Angeles, where there is no shortage of remarkable hairdos, Harry Peak attracted attention.
Friday 56: 
Once words and thoughts are poured into them, books are no longer just paper and ink and glue: They take on a kind of human vitality. The poet Milton called this quality in books "the potency of life."
Comments:
This book is about the Los Angeles Central Library fire, possibly set by Harry Peak, and so much more. "It is really about the central role libraries have always and will always play in the life and health of a bustling democracy. Beyond that, like any good library, it's bursting with incredible tales and characters. There could be no better book for the bookish" (Dave Eggers).

-Anne

17 comments:

  1. I have been halfway through this one for ages! I really enjoyed it but then got sidetracked somehow. This is the perfect push to get back into it :D I hope you have a lovely weekend and feel free to drop by and check out my Friday Post
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh The Library Book sounds excellent! I love the quotes.
    Cora | http://teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does sound like a great book for the bookish! I'd read this! Here's my Friday Post. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great excerpts...and this one sounds very good. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books about libraries! I hope that you contemn to enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That 56 quote is so great. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this one on my TBR pile and am looking forward to reading it. Libraries really do play an important role in society. Have a great weekend! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of The Library Book, but I haven't read it. I like the quotes, especially the 56.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I misread Harry Peak as Harry Potter and was very confused for moment 😂

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen this one around. Are you enjoying it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been eyeing at my library. I'm going to have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a very interesting story! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a wonderful book and I would like to check it out! I was particularly drawn to the snippet from page 56.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think everyone just miss their libraries sooooo much. This is the second book about a library! I have this one on my TBR. Rather mixed reviews, so will still wait a while. Hope you enjoy it!

    Here's my Weekend Book Friends

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.