|Our backyard trees set against a lovely blue sky (Mountain Ash, Sweet Gum, Oak)|
Ordination: Our Youth Director was just ordained today and will be moving to another church as their Family and Children's Pastor. The ordination service was designed by Brett and was a wonderful celebration of his life and his ministry. His parents and family played an important role in the service as did other pastors from neighboring churches. We will miss Brett tremendously but are so excited for him as he moves on to another phase of his ministry.
Scripture: The scripture Brett chose for his service was I Samuel 3:1-11
What wonderful words of challenge for all of us: "Here I am, Lord, speak to me!"
Putting the garden to bed: we spent some time in the yard today raking leaves, pulling up summer annuals, and planting bulbs and chrysanthemums, We were dressed for fall weather but just about roasted to death it was so warm in the sun. It was a lovely day to be working in the yard, really glorious.
Cello: Carly accompanied the choir on her cello today in church. It has been so fun to have cello music back in our lives after a four year hiatus while she was away at college and not playing it.
Piles: This week I've noticed all the funny piles of books and magazines I have lying around the house. Piles that have been in place for years. One pile has magazines from as far back as 2008 in it. Another pile has a copy of the magazine announcing the 1st inauguration of President Obama. I must set things down and never think of them again. Time to clean house!
Mock Printz roll-out: On Friday during lunch periods I rolled out the list of books for the 2015 Mock Printz workshop. Currently we have 16 books on the list, with three books still under consideration. Thirty students signed the pledge to join up. We are off and running.
Book finished this week:
- The Hotel on Place Vendome by Mazzeo---The history of the Hotel Ritz in Paris, especially concerning its residents during WWII. Interesting but also boring. It was a chore to read.
- Gabi, a Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero---one of the three books still under consideration for Mock Printz. Page 79 of 284.
- Otherbound by Corrine Duyvis- a Mock Printz selection. Page 51 of 387,
- Bless Me, Ultima by Ruldolfo Anaya---my banned book selection of the year and an audiobook. Disc 6 of 10.
- A Time to Dance by Padma Venkatraman---a lovely YA novel set in India, written in verse. I am enjoying the cultural and religious references. Page 280 of 320.
Lovely cello music of the song Say Something...enjoy.