"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sunday Salon...July 7

Photo by Keith Stapley
Weather: this morning it is overcast but it appears that the sun may break through this afternoon.

Today: We took the dog for a walk around Bradley Lake.  It is a .8 mile loop and she could barely make it around.  Her tongue was really dragging. ha!

Yesterday: We attended a graduation party for our neighbor who graduated from UW this past Spring. Congratulations, Breinn!

This past week: we hosted an Independence Day Block Party for part end of the neighborhood. After a BBQ and nice visit we moved out chairs to the front yard to watch other neighbors fireworks.  The picture was taken by my neighbor.  It is our house flag in the foreground. Thanks Keith for sharing your gift of photography!

Currently reading:
  • Diego Rivera: an Artist for the People by Susan Goldman Rubin
  • Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner
Recently finished:
  • The Silver Chair by C.S.Lewis- the 4th book in the Chronicles of Narnia
  • Winger by Andrew Smith-a coming-of-age novel that deals with the difficult topic of bullying
  • Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver-the effects of climate change on a small community in Tennessee.
  • Etiquette and Espionage: Finishing School. Book the First by Gail Carriger- Steampunk fun
Reading goal progress: I have read 10 books this summer toward my goal of 30.  I am 1/3rd of the way!

Scripture: 2 Kings 5 13 Naaman’s servants went to him and said, “My father, if the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more, then, when he tells you, ‘Wash and be cleansed’!”14 So he went down and dipped himself in the Jordan seven times, as the man of God had told him, and his flesh was restored and became clean like that of a young boy.

Prayers for: Our church youth group members. Seven were in a rollover accident this week and all sustained cuts and bruises but will recover.


In the garden: time to re-prune the roses and feed them.  All the bushes are looking pretty bad.


From the kitchen: Watermelon. OK. So I didn't make it, but my daughter selected it and I cut it. It was the best and juiciest watermelon I've had in years.


On the web: History for the 4th of July. Crash Course in History by John Green.



2 comments:

  1. Great picture! Sounds like you had a great week.

    Here’s my Sunday Salon Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear about the car accident, it all happens so quickly, doesn't it? I am glad to hear they are all going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.