"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sunday Salon...February 17

Weather: sunny but deceptively chilly with a brisk breeze.

Valentine's Day: my husband gave me the beautiful primroses (live not cut flowers, he said) and I gave him this fill-in-the-blank book that I mentioned last week.  I worked and worked on it and still didn't get it done, but he was impressed with my effort.  It has generated some good conversations and reminded us of loving memories.

Yesterday: My husband and I took a drive on around the Hood Canal looking at property or homes for sale with a view.  We are dreaming.  Nothing serious yet.

Today: We attended the wonderful celebration of the life of a friend who died of lung cancer right before Christmas. His daughters sang a moving John Denver song "On the Wings of a Dream" which starts with the stanza: "Yesterday I had a dream about dying/About laying to rest and then flying/How the moment at hand is the only thing we really own." I shed a few tears, believe me.

Later today: my daughters and son-in-law return from a trip to see their grandparents in Oregon and will sup with us before returning to their abodes. I miss them when we are separated. Since having children everyone has told me how difficult the empty nest is, well, they are right.

Upcoming this week: one day off school, one conference day, and my birthday. Should be a good week.

Currently reading:
  • Prodigy by Marie Lu, the second book in the Legacy series. I am reading an ARC though it is already published.
  • Emma by Jane Austen, I'm taking a second crack at this. Last year around this time I started it and read about 150 pages before I abandoned the book. I am determined to finish it this time
Currently on audiobooks:
  • Impossible Rescue: the True Story of an Amazing Arctic Adventure by Martin Sandler
Recently finished:
  • Airborn by Kenneth Oppel, an amazing adventure story that I finally read after having it on my TBR pile for seven years.
  • Curses! Foiled Again by Jane Yolen, a graphic novel, 2nd book in the series.

Church today was led by a pastor from Malawi. His examples were so perfect for his culture. It was a lovely worship experience.

My Lenten prayer focus this week is for people trapped in homelessness. Last week's focus was on families affected by gun violence.

From the kitchen: Flank steak is marinating, recipe for pumpkin bars is pulled ready for me to whip up soon.

Quote of the week: (I included this in book I gave the hubby) "I've seen the best of you, and the worst of you, and I choose both." -Sarah Kay


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun to have the "kids" visiting (I do NOT look forward to the empty nest), your Birthday and a different work schedule for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the book you gave your husband and especially like that quote! Perfect!

    You are reading Emma? It has been sitting on my TBR shelf for years!! Maybe you will inspire me to finally read Jane Austen!

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one with books that have been in the TBR list for years!

    I'm headed into the empty nest years myself; my daughter heads off to college this fall. Time to figure out my next step, I guess!

    Happy reading!

    Lark
    my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.