"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sunday Salon...May 27

Weather today... Overcast, cool, and rainy. Sun breaks in the afternoon. 

Yesterday we had another bridal shower for Rita.  This one was for family and was held in the Portland area.  It was a lovely day.  The photo is of the bride-to-be, her sister (behind), and cousins. 


Today we went to a Mariners Game in Seattle.  They lost but we had a grand time.

I'm reading:  
  • Me and Earl, and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews. See the opening paragraph on my Book Beginnings post from Friday.  So far this book is quite funny, in a teenager male sort of way. I've had a very busy week so I didn't get a lot more read this week.
  • Sabriel by Garth Nix.  One of my colleagues always raves about this book and the series.  Time to figure what all the fuss is about.
  • Iron King by Julie Kagawa.  I know.  I know.  I am taking way too long on this book. I need to finish it this weekend or abandon it.
 
I'm listening to: 
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  This is the second time listening to this audiobook.  Love it! 
  • The Miles Between by Mary Pearson. I have a funny feeling that this is one of those audiobooks that is not as good as the actual book.  I'll finish it but don't care for the book or, more likely, the format.


Book finished this week:  The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen. Winner of the Schneider Family Book Award for people living with a disability.  It is a new favorite.   

Scripture lesson in church: Matt 28: 19, 20  "19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

I'm praying for: A situation at church which involves some hard feelings and poor communication. Also, a friend's husband who is doing poorly with cancer.

Around the house: the librarians from the district will be here Tuesday.  Must get the house ready to "show."

From the kitchen: Birthday dinner for daughter #1 of steak, baked potatoes, broccoli and Corina's cake for dessert. Our family birthdays are done until December.


2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read your review of Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl. I have this on my TBR...my 13 yr old finished and loved The Fault in out stars. Is this anything like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having our end of the year librarian party as well this week and I had completely forgotten so thank you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.