"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, May 7, 2012

It's Monday, May 7th, and I'm reading...

Sheila at Book Journey
Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Text














What I am currently reading and my progress:
1.  The Obsidian Blade by Pete Hautman- Pete describes this as part sci-fi, part adventure, part historical, part futuristic. The reviews are coming in as this is a good one.  I hope I will concur. I've barely started it,  I'm only on around page 35.

2. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa-This is the first book in the Iron Fey series which is hot, hot, hot in my library.  I am reading it to evaluate if I want to include it in my Nifty Fifty cart of special books.  So far so good but I'm only on the 2nd chapter.


What I am listening to:
-The Shanghai Girls by Lisa See, read by Janet Song. I am mesmerized.

What I've recently finished:
1.  Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzgerald I half listened, half read this book at break neck speed. A paranormal romance that had me on the edge of my seat.

2. Soldier Bear by Bib Tak.  Translated from Dutch, this book won the 2012 Batchelor Award for translated works. It is a Junior book and it really wasn't a favorite.

3. Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay. Written in verse, this coming-of-age story has a lot going for it.


What I hope to read next:
I have three library books piled up next to my bed and i want to read them before I have to return them:
-The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour. I read a not-so-great review after reading a few good ones which has caused me to pause.  Hmm.m.m.
-Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. "When Aria, a sheltered and fragile Dweller, is exiled from her home in Reverie, she must face The Death Shop, a land filled with cannibals and dangerous energy storms, and her only hope for staying alive depends on Outsider Perry, a savage hunter" Sounds ominous, doesn't it?
-The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen. This is my next audiobook.
-The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. This is my next book club selection and I must pick it up from Margaret G-F as I am only 31st in line at the public library.  Ha!

What are you reading and how do you like it?

 

10 comments:

  1. Yes, you do!! I will be curious to see what you think of it. I am in love with the book and can't stop thinking about it. Should I leave it in my milkbox for you? We leave for NYC on Thursday AM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I swing by and pick it up tomorrow? I had a class tonight until 7:30.

      Delete
    2. Sure, it's in the milkbox if I'm not home. :)

      Delete
  2. I have heard GREAT things about The Snow Child - can't wait to hear what you think.

    I have only read 1 Pete Hautman book, but I enjoyed it - this one sounds good, too.

    Enjoy your books this week - looks like you have some good ones lined up!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Snow Child, but haven't heard of any of the others. I can't wait to check them out, just as soon as I finish "SportsFan Chronicles" written by Kurt Weichert- a wonderful sports written for women.
    http://www.sportsfanchronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Running Dream, a friend just told me Obsidian Blade is really good, I LOVED Shanghai Girls, and I liked The Disenchantments... how's that for a quick rundown?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of great books that I have heard about - and you make me want to read them even more. I've heard of the Iron Fey series but haven't read any yet. Hush Hush sounds amazing. I so have to get my hands on Running Dream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quite liked Love and Leftovers. I know novel-in-verse stops a lot of readers in their tracks, but I thought it quite appropriate for a high school journal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard such good things about Kagawa - I wneed to get my hand on that series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a hold on the Obsidian Blade. I hope it's as good as everyone says! The Disenchantments is wonderful as is The Running Dream. They are two of my favorite books I've read in the last year.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.