"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, May 18, 2012

Book Beginnings...May 18th

First Line Friday is now Book Beginnings hosted over at Rose City Reader.

I haven't "played" for a while but I thought the opening lines of this book were too good not to share.  Beware.  Boy humor ahead.


"So to understand everything that happened, you have to start with the premise that high school sucks. Do you accept that premise? Of course you do. It is a universally acknowledged truth that high school sucks. In fact, high school is where we are first introduced to the basic existential question of life: How is it possible to exist in a place that sucks so bad?"
          -opening paragraph, Chapter 1, Me and Earl, and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews.

 I work at a high school.  I've worked at a high school for the past 28 years. I went to high school.  I'm still in recovery from those years in high school.  This opening makes me laugh at the truth behind it and the play on the famous Jane Austen line: "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a man...:"  I am prepared to love this book.


 

3 comments:

  1. This one has been staring me in the face for weeks! I can't wait to see what you think of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can beat you by a few years for your high school experience. I know many students who will certainly agree with those opening sentences. I have seen this book around and appreciate the glimpse into it. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it has real promise!

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings! Sorry I am slow this week to come by and visit your post.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.