"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Review: WHEN WOMEN WERE DRAGONS


Title:
When Women Were Dragons by Kelly Barnhill

Beginning quote: 
I was four years old when I first met a dragon. I never told my mother. I didn't think she'd understand.
Page 56 55 quote: 
Despite my mother's aversion to hard conversations, the nation went through a short, and only somewhat thorough, reckoning of what had occurred. This was difficult, given the assumed femininity of dragons, and the Mass Dragoning's accepted connection to something as private as motherhood.
Summary: In 1955 thousands of American women spontaneously transformed into dragons. This event destroyed everyone's notion of women and their place in the world. The government couldn't explain how or why it happened so instead of studying the large-scale dragoning they made it a forbidden topic that couldn't be mentioned in school let alone studied.

When Alex's Aunt Marla dragonned, her daughter, Beatrice, became her sister. When Alex's mom died from cancer, she was put in charge of Beatrice's care. But from a young age, Beatrice wanted to become a dragon herself. Alex feared she'd be left alone in a world she didn't understand.

Review: My daughter was the person who recommended this book to me. She knew I would love it and she was right. I adored this book with a look at feminism from a different angle. If you are thinking you don't like to read "fantasy" books, don't worry, this book is really a human story about all the indignities women have had to put up with over the ages. And it shows what happens when women rise up (literally) and the value is felt by everyone is society. I laughed, I cringed, I cried. This book really, really spoke to my heart and hey, the hero of the book is a librarian. What's not to love?

I love this book so much I bought a copy for my mother who is turning 95 later this month. In a lot of ways my mom has been a real dragon in my life and has done so much good for her community. I also hope my book club will consider this for a future meeting. Now I am recommending it to you.

(Source: Kirkus Reviews)



Sign up for The Friday56 on the Inlinkz below. 

As many of you know Freda over at Freda's Voice hosted #Friday56 for many years. On September 7th she told us she was going through some personal stuff and could no longer host. I've attempted to reach her but have had no reply. So I will host The Friday56 until she comes back. Help me communicate with past participants so they can figure out where and how to find me, please post this post's URL on your blog. Don't forget to drop a comment on my post also! Thanks.

Also visit Book Beginnings on Friday hosted by Rose City Reader and First Line Friday hosted by Reading is My Super Power to share the beginning quote from your book.

RULES:

*Grab a book, any book
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader
(If you want to improvise, go ahead!)
*Find a snippet, but no spoilers!
*Post it to your blog and add your url to the Linky below. If you do not add the specific url for your post, we may miss it!


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.