"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, December 11, 2023

TTT: My Winter Reading List


Top Ten Tuesday: Winter Reading List. 
Below the line is how I did on my autumn reading list.


Winter reading list:

Book Club Selections:

  1. The Bride Test by Huong (Jan, Group #1)
  2.  The Covenant of Water by Verghese (Jan., Group #2)
  3. The Huntress by Quinn (Feb., Group #1)
  4. The Rabbit Hutch by Gunty (Feb, Group #2)
  5. The Egg and I by MacDonald (Mar., Group #1)
  6. TBA (Mar., Group #2)

Challenge Books:

  1. Classics Club Spin Book TBA from this list -- Possibly The Iliad by Homer, translated by Emily Wilson
  2. A Past Pulitzer Prize winner from list -- The Known World by Jones
  3. Printz Award winner or honor book from this list -- (The 2024 winners will be announced Jan. 22nd)
  4. My One Big Book Challenge book -- possibly Wolf Hall by Mantel

Books I've already started, recently acquired, and/or have on-hold at the library:

  1. My Brilliant Friend by Ferrante
  2. The News of the World by Jiles
  3. Babel by Kuang
  4. The Land of Lost Things by Connolly
  5. Tiny Habits by Fogg
  6. 15-21 Nonfiction books as part of Cybils 2nd round judge responsibility. These books will be announced on January 1st.


Update: How I did on my autumn reading list.
Highlighted yellow: completed. 
Highlighted aqua: in progress or 
Highlighted green:  not completed but read note.

Book Club Selections:

  1. Tightrope: American's Reaching for Hope by Kristoff (Oct, Group #1)
  2.  Tom Lake by Patchett (Oct., Group #2)
  3. Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by McBride (Nov/Dec., Group #2)
  4. News of the World by Giles (Dec, Group #1)-- 15% complete, a reread.

Challenge Books:

  1. Classics Club Spin Book TBA from this list -- The Aleph and Other Stories
  2. A Past Pulitzer Prize winner from list -- Possibly The Orphan Master's Son
  3. Printz Award winner or honor book from this list -- Possibly Scout's Honor--- I tried but couldn't make myself finish. Not the book for me.
  4. A National Book Award winner or finalist (Not named until November) I read:
    1. from unincorporated territory [amot] by Craig Santos Perez -- the Poetry winner
    2. A First Time for Everything by Dan Santot -- Young People's Literature winner
    3. From From: Poems by Monica Youn -- Poetry finalist
    4. Huda F. Cares by Huda Fahmy --- Young People's Literature finalist
    5. This Other Eden by Paul Harding --- Fiction finalist

Books I've already started, recently acquired, and/or have on-hold at the library:

  1. Maame by Jessica George
  2. Middlemarch by George Eliot
  3. My Brilliant Friend by Ferrante -- adding it to my winter list
  4. Yellow Face by Kuang 
  5. The Financial Lives of Poets by Walter -- 65% complete
  6. Impossible Escape: A True Story of Survival and Heroism in Nazi Europe by Sheinkin
  7. Babel by Kuang-- 74% complete
  8. The Covenant of Water by Verghese -- this is a book club selection, I will finish this before the end of January.
  9. Tiny Habits by Fogg-- just getting back to this after a three year hiatus.
  10. Mr. Impossible by Stiefvater
  11. Accountable: The True Story of a Racist Social Media Account and the Teenagers Whose Lives It Changed by Slater

I set myself up to fail. Firstly, I was on a big international trip and I took only small books with me I could discard when finished. Secondly, four of the books on this list are over 500 pages. Thirdly, ten of them are audiobooks. Since I can only listen to one audiobook at a time, this really filled up my calendar with listening. And yet, I still managed to read sixteen books from my list here, which doesn't include the 20+ unlisted books I read during the period of time. I must confess. As soon as I place a book on my quarterly/seasonal list, that book starts screaming at me to be read! I hope to finish all the aqua colored books before the end of the year and all the green-colored books (except Scout's Honor) by the end of January.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.