"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, May 1, 2023

TTT: Ten Random books

 


Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Random Books.
 

Today we are challenged to select ten books randomly from our books shelf. Since I am on vacation and don't have access to my physical bookshelves I decided to "randomly" select ten titles from my Goodreads account. I mixed up books from both my 'read' list and my 'to-read' one. Here they are in random order. 

1. Necessary Christianity: What Jesus Shows We Must Be and Do by Alexander. I picked up this small study guide-type book at the library and found the first chapter very thoughtful and insightful. Shouldn't Christians live like Christ wants them to, as good examples of love and acceptance in the world? Unfortunately the book didn't live up to the promise of its first chapter and it was all downhill from there. I finished it but found it was mostly forgettable. [19th book down my read list.]

2. New and Selected Poems, Vol. 2 by Mary Oliver. I am a big fan of this poet and have read many, many of her books of poems. Oddly I've never read this one. I placed it on my TBR on Aug. 19, 2019 hoping its placement there would spur me to action.

3. Imasaurus by Anne Yvilsaker. A darling and funny children's illustrated book which plays with dinosaur's names. My grand-kids loved it. Read in Sept. 2022. [138th book down my list.]

4. Jack (Gilead #4) by Maryanne Robinson. I got a free copy of this book on my e-reader in November of 2020. I selected it because I've read the first book in the series and really like Robinson's writing. Now that I know it is the 4th in a series, I may just delete it since I have no interest in drumming up the two middle books.

5. Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu. My family and I listened to the audiobook of the National Book Award winner on a trip going to celebrate Thanksgiving with the family. It's format is very unique, written as a script with stage directions. It is about Asian-American seterotypes especially in the entertainment industry. [257th book down the list. Read in November 2021.]

6. The Toni Morrison Book Club by Juda Bennett. Placed on my TBR in October 2021 I have no memory of why I wanted to read it other than it sounds like something I'd like. If you've read it, please leave me a comment of what you thought of it. 

7. Ex Libris: 100 Books to Read and Reread by Kakutani. I read this book in February 2021, before COVID vaccines, that maybe explains why I can't remember a thing about it. I did rate it with 5 stars. [376 down.]

8. What Kind of Woman by Kate Baer. Described as a "stunning and honest debut poetry collection about being a mother, a wife, and a woman." I recently read her book I Hope This Finds You Well, which I adored. Moving this one up the list. (Placed on TBR May 25, 2022.)

9. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia du Luce #4) by Alan Bradley. I was a fan of the Flavia du Luce series until I read this book. Other fans have urged me to read on, stating this book is an outlier, worse than the others. I haven't gotten around to reading any more in the series since this one, read in 2020. [498 down on my read list.]

10. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Zevin. Added to my TBR on December 9, 2022. I kept seeing the book on everyone's 'read' list but when I daughter to its audiobook earlier this year she was very 'meh' about it. Should I shouldn't I? Help me out.

I have to admit these books are a very good example of being random:

  • Of the books I've read, I liked two, disliked two, and can't remember one.
  • Of the books on my TBR, two are poetry collections, one is the 4th book in a series (which I haven't read the middle books), and two others I need advice to help me decide if I should read them.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.