"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, May 12, 2023

Tanka-poetry Reviews


Thanks to Lark Writes for giving me the inspiration to write short, poetic book reviews. Hers are called 'Haiku Reviews.' I'll make mine a little longer and call them tanka-poetry reviews. Similar to haikus, tanka poems are short, using only 31-syllables in the cadence pattern of 5, 7, 5, 7, 7. I call these reviews tanka-poetry but the books I am reviewing are not specifically poetry books.

 I am back from a two week vacation which involved much driving. That gave us a chance to listen to several audiobooks. Pool-side time allowed me to complete several other books. These tanka-reviews are for the books I don't plan on reviewing more fully.





 

Fox and I: An Uncommon Friendship by Catherine Raven
 Speigel and Grau, 2021 

A wild fox befriends
a lonely naturalist.
This memoir recounts
details of their unusual 
friendship. Very surprising.
 
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars; audio.
 
 


Murder at the Vicarage
by Agatha Christie
William Morrow, 2009. Originally published in 1930.

Agatha Christie,
queen of suspense, introduces
us to Miss Marple.
Murder is solved after a
few false starts and red-herrings. 

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars; e-book.



The Return of Jeeves: A Jeeves and Bertie Novel
by P.G. Wodehouse
Perennial Library, 1985; first published in 1953

Humorist writer,
P.G. Wodehouse pokes fun at
aristocrats and
monied folks. Jeeves, the butler,
serves with straight face. Funny. 

My rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars, print.



A Continual Feast: Words of Comfort and Celebration, Collected by Father Tim by Jan Karon
Penguin, 2006

Inspiring quotes,
scriptures, and thoughtful phrases, 
compiled by Father Tim,
a character in Karon's book.
I used to collect the same.

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars, print.


Remarkable Trees of the World
by Thomas Markham
W.W. Norton and Company, 2003

We visited big trees
in Kings Canyon National Park.
Returning back home
it was a perfect time to 
read about trees of the world.

My rating: 5 out of 5, reread, print.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.