"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Sunday Salon ---the Hope edition

Lake Crescent in Olympic National Park

Weather
:

Tomorrow is Easter: I've decided to post a day early since we are planning a big gathering of family after church for the traditional egg hunt with our grandsons and a brunch. In addition to my immediate family we also expect my sister/her husband, and our niece/her husband. Should be a busy, happy day.

Hope and happiness: With the indictment of Donald Trump by the State of NY this week it seems like all the news has been about that. But I wanted to focus on positive, even funny items I found this week. Here goes (take the time to click links, you'll be glad you did)---

1. One minute "rant" about one good aspect of our country right now (hint: it is young people):

2. Guitarist makes surprisingly good music from "songs" performed by dogs/animals. This is hilariously funny and cute. (Dodo, 3/31/23)

3. My grandsons, and other church kids, singing "I have decided to follow Jesus". Jamie (2 1/2) is a little slow but he gets there in the end, whereas his brother Ian (5 1/2) is right on until the end.


4. Quotes about HOPE---

  • To repeat something that needs constant repetition, “hope is not the belief that everything was, is or will be fine.” Hope is what sets you on a path toward a goal and keeps you persisting. Hope focuses on the long term, not immediate results. Hope allows you to see that you’re not alone, that your efforts are part of a larger fight for a better world. -- Rebecca Solnit
  • Once we start to act, hope is everywhere. So instead of looking for hope, look for action. Then, and only then, hope will come. — Greta Thunburg
  • Everything that is done in the world is done by hope. Martin Luther
  • Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings. — Elie Wiesel
  • Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance. — Robert Kennedy
  • To be truly radical is to make hope possible rather than despair convincing. — Raymond Williams
  • Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. — Margaret Mead

5. "This is the Song of Hope" by Avishai Cohen


6. Do not obey in advance. by Simon Rosenberg, April 4, 2023. There is hope for us if good people protest and stand up. If we are loud and demand respect. If we don't obey in advance. Read it.

7.


8. I've helped a friend several times this past week. She is just home from the hospital where she had an operation to remove cancer. When I heard this song I wanted to infuse it into her being, give her my strength to see this tough time through: "You Can Do This Hard Thing."

 

9. Trae Crowder, the Redneck Liberal, actually uses my word of the week: Hope. Wait for it.

 

10. The Tennessee Three. I pray that their bravery to stand up even in the face of threat (and the eventuality) of expulsion will serve as a catalyst for change. If you don't know what I am talking about watch this: Summary, or this speech by VP Harris about the situation, and/or a Good Friday speech of Hope by Rep. Justin Pearce.

Books:

  • Recently Completed:
    • The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas -- It took me almost three months but I finished this tome finally. Read my review here. Then throw me a party! Print and audio.
    • Adrift: America in 100 Charts by Scott Galloway. I saw this author on MSNBC and was intrigued by his premise that most information we hear on the news can be consolidated down into understandable charts. He was right. Print.
    • Necessary Christianity: What Jesus Says We Must Do by Alexander. My Lenten study guide. I liked it in the beginning and each chapter got less interesting and more confusing. Sigh. Print.
    • The Reading List by Adams. For a future book club. Two lonely people find each other and gain help from a list of classic books. The ending was very good, the middle was very average. Print.
    • Malibu Rising by Reid. The second book in a loosely grouped series which started with Daisy Jones and the Six. I enjoyed it. Audio.
    • Children's Books:
    • -The Knight Owl by Christopher Denice. The 2023 Caldecott winner. Darling.
      -Chopsticks by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. A new favorite author.  
      -Exclamation Mark by the same author as above. My 5-year-old grandson LOVED this book.
      -Very Good Hats by Straub. After reading it to my grandsons we had a lot of fun trying to make hats out of household items like they do in the book. FUN!
       
  • Currently reading:
    • Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie. Guess I'm in the mood for Christie novels now. 12%. E-book.
    • The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Chabon. For my personal Pulitzer challenge. 45%. Audio.
    • Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare. For Classics Club SPIN.
    • Bewilderment by Powers. My next audiobook. 3%
    • Long Petal of the Sea by Allende. May's book club selection. A famous author. Should be good. Audiobook.
  • Blog posts: 

On the lighter side:

What is double funny about this is that my husband and I always call dogs "Ralph" if we don't know their name.



Required pet photo:

My daughter's cat, Skimble, taking a nap.



-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.