"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, July 17, 2022

Sunday Salon -- Mid July

Celebrating with family on the 4th of July

Weather: the skies were overcast yesterday during our long walk along a community to community trail. Temperatures were in the mid-70s. Today seems to be the same so far.

Cataracts: I had my second eye operation on Tuesday and the week seems to have revolved around recovery, which means a lot of eye drops, lower lights/sunglasses, and adjustments. One of the adjustments I've learned that my old glasses made me think I was closer to the ground. Now as I descend the stairs I feel like I'm a giant who is much taller than I was. My far and mid-range vision are quite good now. I only require reading glasses for close-up stuff. Because of this my post today will be mercifully short.

Today: We will babysit our grandsons with us while our daughters are off on an adventure together. I have a new stack of books from the '100 Books Every Child Should Have Read to Them Before Kindergarten' list. Nineteen of them, in fact. We won't spend the whole day reading, however. We will likely seek out a new play structure/park to explore.

Books:

  • Currently reading:
    • Washington Black by Esi Edugyan. This is a book club selection for our Tuesday meeting. Guess I'd best put on a big push to finish it on time. Print and audio. 68% complete.
    • Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I actually didn't make any progress on this tome all week. Print and audio. 27% complete.
       
  • Finished:
    • The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis. This brings Narniathon21 to its completion for me. Print.
    • The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin. Another book club selection. I rated this book 3 out of 5 stars. Not a favorite. Audiobook.
       
  • Reviews written:

Skimbleshanks and Sasha: We finally met the newest members of the family...darling sibling kittens.




-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.