"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, August 27, 2021

Review and quotes: THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE

I'm such a fan I purchased a complete hard cover set of the series, The Chronicles of Narnia

Title:
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Book Beginnings quote: 

Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. This story is about something that happened to them, when they were sent away from London during the war because of the air-raids.

Friday56 quote: 

"Here we are," said Mr. Beaver, "and it looks as if Mrs. Beaver is expecting us. I'll lead the way. Be careful and don't slip."

Summary: This is the first book in the marvelous Chronicles of Narnia series published by C.S. Lewis in 1950. The four Pevensie children accidentally find a portal from our world into Narnia through a wardrobe in the old Professor's house where they are staying throughout the war. Narnia is a magical land where some of the animals talk. Right now it isn't a very nice place, though, because it is ruled by the wicked White Witch who has made it always winter and never Christmas. Lucy is the first to enter Narnia where she meets a nice faun, Mr. Tumnus. When she returns through the portal no one believes her and where she says she has been. Then both Lucy and Edmund go through the portal separately and Edmund meets the White Witch. He is bewitched by her and the Turkish delight she gives him to eat. Lastly all four of the children enter Narnia together, not knowing that they have a traitor among them. But this time something has changed. Aslan, the great lion, is on the move. Will he be able to save the children from the clutches of the witch?

Review: I first read this book when I was in elementary school in the late 1960s. It, and the whole series, have been a favorite of mine ever since. Last week when I pondered the answer for the question asked by Deb Nance at Reader Buzz, 'What is the most influential book I've ever read?" I settled on this series as my answer. Here is a link to my answer so you can understand my thinking as to its influence on me. It is possible that this is my sixth time through the book, perhaps only the fifth, but I have enjoyed it equally every time I've read it. The last time through was in 2005 in preparation for the release of the movie so it was time for a reread for sure.

If you haven't read the series, I recommend that you read the books in the order that Lewis published them. The American publisher somewhere along the way has decided to reorder them into chronological order of the story, placing The Magician's Nephew at the head of the line. But, as a reader, you understand that sometimes the prequel (or back story) is best placed after parts of the story are already told and then the prequel fills in the details causing the reader to stop and exclaim, "Oh, that is how that happened." Read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe first. If you have an elementary aged child at home, read it aloud with them.

What are some of your memories with this book and series?

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from current book.
Th
e Friday56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56 to share. 

Visit these two websites to participate. Click on links to read quotes from books other people are reading. It is a great way to make blog friends and to get suggestions for new reading material.   
 

Preferred order to read the books in the series, by publication date:

1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (1950)
2. Prince Caspian (1951)
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
4. The Silver Chair (1953)
5. A Horse and His Boy (1954)
6. The Magician's Nephew (1955)
7. The Last Battle (1956)

-Anne

14 comments:

  1. I never read this series. Your review is great and those excerpts are all interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book when I was a tween!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I've heard from a lot of people that it was read to them by a teacher in school. One chapter a day.

      Delete
  3. It has been such a long time since I have read these oh how I loved them when I did. Maybe a re-read is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this series one of these days. I was wondering what order was best to read them in, so thank you for your answer. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am passionate about the order of books in the series and get really worked up about the publisher putting Magician's Nephew first. Once you read them, you will understand why.

      Delete
  5. I'm not a fan of The Magician's Nephew being first. I loved these in middle school, but cringed when a student checked out The Last Battle the other day because of an experience I had a few years ago: http://msyinglingreads.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-last-battle.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore this book and the whole series, and have never tired of re-reading them. I agree about how influential the book is too.

    Visiting from Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping to get this series for my birthday in November, and I think I'll plan to read these (in the correct order, of course!) as my first book of 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love the whole series. I do remember the last time I read through it how aware I was that it was written in the 1950s.

      Delete
  8. I read these all in my childhood and have revisited them since - though I have always disliked The Last Battle. I still have my childhood copies with the Pauline Baines covers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn’t realize that some American publishers had reordered this series. It definitely does work best in Lewis’ original order, especially when it came to certain exciting events in The Magician’s Nephew in my opinion.

    The Chronicles of Narnia was my first introduce to the idea of a fantasy series. I adored it as a kid!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.