Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite character traits
What are those traits I like in characters?
1. Spunkiness--- The urban dictionary defines this as a person with presence and/or has attitude.Think Pippi Longstockings, Katness Everdeen, or Lyra Belacqua.
2. Vulnerability--- We care about characters when we see their vulnerabilities and what caused them. Think Harry Potter, Marianne Dashwood, and Pip.
3. Relatable---Characters don't have to be me for me to relate to them, but I need to be able to find something of me in them or the issues that they confront. Think Bridget Jones, Ramona, and Simon Spier.
4. Capable of growth---flawed characters are interesting if, in the end, they show some growth. Think Elizabeth Bennet, Matilda, and Neville Longbottom.
5. Kindness---I like it when characters are kind and thoughtful to other characters. Think Amber Appleton (Sort Of Like a Rock Star), Jane Bennet, and Samwise Gamgee.
6. Have a unique voice--- the voices of characters help make reading enjoyable, those characters with unique voices doubly so. Think Anne Shirley, Scout Finch, and Mattie Ross.
7. Humorous or funny--- I like to be laugh. Who doesn't? Even in the most serious books, the comic relief can help make a book bearable. Think Huck Finn, Gonzo (Going Bovine), and Shakespeare's Falstaff.