"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 14, 2019

TTT: Extraordinary Book Titles



Top Ten Tuesday: Extraordinary book titles
These titles make it clear what I should expect in the book, cause me to want to discover the title in the text, or make me laugh

1. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Who hasn't wondered if God was there and if He cares about our concerns? I think this book title is perfect.
 
2. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett
This hilarious title sets up the young readers to expect something zany.
 
3. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
The title of this book made me search it out to read. The book is even funnier than the title.
 
4. The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
The title is odd and so is this mystery of who killed the dog. I love how the title gets the reader ready for something different.

5. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender
This title is very surreal and so is the book. How can a cake be sad? How can a man turn into a chair? 

6. The Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Everyone in this book is off-kilter, especially Ignacious J. Riley who is the biggest dunce of all. 

7. An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green
The title comes to life in the book when we learn that Carl is really from another world. It is an absolutely remarkable title.

8. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
I've often wondered how people could ever fall in love during times of high stress. We find out here in this magical realism classic.
 
9. Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
The title is funny enough to attract readers.

10. The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler
Another funny title that helps reader decide to choose it knowing that to some degree it is humorous.

11. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
When I found the title in the text I let out an audible gasp. I love it when authors hide the title in the text so it feels like a game to find it. 

12. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie
What is a part-time Indian? You'll find out if you read the book. 

13. And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street by Dr. Seuss
This whole list could be populated with Dr. Seuss titles:  One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish; The Cat in the Hat; and Green Eggs and Ham are prime examples. But Mulberry Street started them all as Dr. Seuss's first book.

14. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
We refer to bad days by this title even years after we first read it. 

15. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Philip K. Dick
Good question. All Philip K. Dick's books pose questions like this one.

16. A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
We actually discussed the meaning of this title in book club and we had a difference of opinion. I love it when book titles themselves evoke discussion.

I'll stop, but could keep going.
What books do you think have extraordinary titles?


27 comments:

  1. Some awesome ones here and most I've read and loved. Alexander and the Very Terrible Horrible Day was a favourite childhood book of mine and absolutely loved the Louise Rennison's series as they all had fun titles. Carolyn Mackler's was another YA favourite of mine when I was in my early teens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great titles! I started to go down a rabbit hole of middle grade titles but then decided to focus on adult. I could make a list for every genre!
    https://readingladies.com/2019/10/14/ttt-ten-irresistible-book-titles/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You came up with a lot of titles! I like Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. It sounds like a cute kid's book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost picked A Confederacy of Dunces! It is an excellent title to a book I hope to read one of these days! Happy Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great selection. I think this week's topic just goes to show there is a real art to coming up with a great title for a book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I can’t believe I forgot about The Fault in Our Stars. Such a beautiful title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it when I found the title in the text. What a thrill.

      Delete
  7. I adored The Fault in Our Stars.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your list. You have some really funny book titles on it.

      Delete
  8. A Tale for the Time Being was almost on my list this week! Happy Reading! :)
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I've only read a few of them. You know how I feel about "A Tale for the Time Being." I loved that the title could be interpreted two different ways. Because really the Time Being (us) has to live in the time being (the present).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I remember our discussion at book club well. I loved the book, too.

      Delete
    2. We were the only ones who wanted to discuss it, as I recall. It's a very worthy discussion book. There is so much wisdom there.

      Delete
  10. What a great list of books, both for their titles and, for those I've read, their content. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww! I should have used The Fault in our Stars. There's no denying that's one pretty title. :) Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You came up with some really good titles. What a great list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ALL of the titles in the Georgia Nicholson book series are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't think of any extraordinary titles right now but I really like the ones you have listed here. I think most children's books have such extraordinary and fun titles which makes me want to be a kid again.

    I keep hearing about book#5 & #7 but never was interested in them but now I'm thinking I should check them out.

    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake- what a unique title! The Judy Blume one is great too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really strange book. I'm not sure I would even say I like it.

      Delete
  16. The particular sadness of lemon cake?? that sounds so promising!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh gosh, And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street!!! I totally forgot about this book! This was one of my childhood books that my mom got me. I'm feeling so nostalgic now thanks to your list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the title of The Confederacy of Dunces!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.