"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, December 8, 2017

Friday Quotes: December 8th

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---


Title: The 57 Bus: a True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime that Changed Their Lives by Dashka Slater

Book Beginnings:
By four-thirty in the afternoon, the first mad rush of after-school passengers has come and gone. That's left are stragglers and stay-laters, swiping their bus passes as they climb onto the 57 bus and take seats among the coming-home workers, the shoppers, and errand-doers, the other students from high schools and middle schools around the city.
Friday 56:
'To me gender fluid means I have the potential to be anything, any gender at any time,' Nemo explained. 'I can be male, female, masculine, feminine, neither, both.' Like Sasha, Nemo uses they/them pronouns.
Comments: I just started this book, a nonfiction title, today so I haven't gotten far and don't have a feel for it yet, but I know that it is getting a lot of attention in the literary world, making it onto lots of best books of the year lists. It was just named to the YALSA Nonfiction Book Award short list with only four other YA nonfiction titles receiving that honor. The blurb in the book jacket says, "This true story, first chronicled in the New York Times Magazine by Slater and artfully, compassionately, and expertly expanded upon here, is a riveting exploration of race, class, gender, identity, morality, and forgiveness. The Bus 57 will inspire you to rethink all you know about crime, punishment, and empathy."

11 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I hope you enjoy it. Happy reading and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one before. The non-fiction aspect is really intriguing and it sounds like an important read. I hope that you enjoy this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know this book, but am wondering what the crime is. Any crime can change a life, but this must be unique.

    Thanks for sharing, Anne, and for coming by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blurb says something about a fire/burn but I am not exactly sure who gets burned.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of it, but it sounds intriguing and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is new to me, but all the attention is making me very curious. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious for more. I like the fluidity of the words when I read it. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting read! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The winter always feels like the perfect time for a nonfiction book. Maybe it's because my reading pace seems to slow down about this time. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been seeing this around lately - I've got it on my tbr! :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.