"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Sunday Salon, Mother's Day 2016

My mom, Shirley Kingsbury. Happy Mother's Day!
Happy Mother's Day!

Weather: overcast. The temperature is vastly cooler today compared to yesterday which was over 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mother's Day plans: Today we are skipping church (true confessions) so we can get outside and finish up my yearly gift which is plant annual flowers in all the flower pots and in certain flower beds. Yesterday Carly was busy in the afternoon but Don and I were able to get the flower pots planted. Today we want to run out and plant the petunias in the front bed and the impatiens in the side yard then we wait for summer color and loveliness. Let in the day we will head over to Rita's house for dinner. Yippee, a day without cooking.

Mother's Day breakfast: Don and Carly fixed scrambled eggs and sang a funny, children's song, "Mother's Day" by Tom Chapin, a family favorite musician when the girls were little. After that song Carly found "The Biologist's Mother's Day Song" on her phone. Have a listen and enjoy!


Prayers for: My Brother: He just found out he has a second melanoma, which will be removed next week. He says it was found early and we shouldn't worry, but I can't help it. My father-in-law: He has been diagnosed heart valve problem. We hope that surgery will be possible and soon!

Books (book) read this week:
  • We Are All Made of Molecules by Susin Nielsen...I read an Advanced Readers Copy of this book which is now a published book. I started it last year and got part of the way through it before setting it aside because I found it a bit too silly (stupid), But after I unearthed from some teetering pile a month ago I was determined to finish it, which I did this week.
Currently reading:
  • The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater, the fourth book in the Raven Cycle series. Basically everything else went onto the back burner when I received this audiobook in the mail. I love the series and I love listening to Will Patton, the voice actor who gives voice to the book. Progress: 55%. Listen to a 5 minute audioclip of the prologue of The Raven King here at Sound Cloud.
  • My Name is Lucy Baron by Elizabeth Strout. This is a book club selection and very readable. I just haven't dedicated sit-down-time with the book. Progress: 42%.


4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a good day, and you are WAY ahead of me on the planting. I'm just not in the mood this year. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the song. And the little 3 second Robert Sapolsky sighting. :) I can't believe I'm nerdy enough to have known who that was!

    Happy Mother's Day! Prayers for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I hope the weather stays cool to help with putting the fires out up North. The Strout book is an easy, quiet read. It's a bit different, sort of nostalgic & sad. Best wishes to your brother & father-in-law. Enjoy your week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful Mother's Day weekend! We soooo need to get our yard/gardens in better shape! I LOVED the Biologist's Mother's Day song - ha ha very funny.

    I love The Raven Cycle, too - MUST read The Raven King!! I have 2 copies sitting here, but have been too busy with book group reads - MUST get to it soon!

    Enjoy your books - and your beautiful flowers! - this week -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.