"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Booklist published their end-of-the-year Editor's Picks list today

In my attempt to make lists of the best YA literature of the year, here is the list, just published, by Booklist Magazine. I've only included the YA titles on their list. For the full list and/or for short descriptions of the book listed, follow the links.

Fiction for Older Teens:
Althea & Oliver. By Cristina Moracho. Viking. Gr. 10–12. 
The Art of Secrets. By James Klise. Algonquin. Gr. 7–10.
Gabi, a Girl in Pieces. By Isabel Quintero. Cinco Puntos. Gr. 9–12.*
Girls like Us. By Gail Giles. Candlewick. Gr. 8–12.*
Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future. By A. S. King. Little, Brown. Gr. 9–12.*
Going Over. By Beth Kephart. Chronicle. Gr. 9–12.
Half Bad. By Sally Green. Viking. Gr. 9–12.*
I’ll Give You the Sun. By Jandy Nelson. Dial. Gr. 9–12. *
The Impossible Knife of Memory. By Laurie Halse Anderson. Viking. Gr. 9–12.**
The Infinite Sea. By Rick Yancey. Putnam. Gr. 9–12.
Revolution. By Deborah Wiles. illus. Scholastic. Gr. 6–9.
This One Summer. By Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki. Illus. by Jillian Tamaki. First Second. Gr. 8–11.*
The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim. By E. K. Johnston. Carolrhoda/Lab. Gr. 8–11.*
A Time to Dance. By Padma Venkatraman. Penguin/Nancy Paulsen. Gr. 7–12.*
The True Tale of the Monster Billy Dean. By David Almond. Candlewick. Gr. 9–12.
Wildlife. By Fiona Wood. Little, Brown/Poppy. Gr. 9–12. 

Nonfiction for Older Teens
Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out. By Susan Kuklin. Illus. by the author. Candlewick. Gr. 7–12.
Eyes Wide Open: Going behind the Environmental Headlines. By Paul Fleischman. illus. Candlewick. Gr. 8–12.*
The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and the Fall of Imperial Russia. By Candace Fleming. illus. Random/Schwartz & Wade. Gr. 7–12.*
Pure Grit: How American World War II Nurses Survived Battle and Prison Camp in the Pacific. By Mary Cronk Farrell. illus. Abrams. Gr. 7–10.
A Volcano beneath the Snow: John Brown’s War against Slavery. By Albert Marrin. illus. Knopf. Gr. 8–12.

*= books on the BSD Mock Printz list
**=books on the possible Mock Printz list

 

2 comments:

  1. I have only two overlapping books on my list, though I've read five books on their list. I love reading everyone's different opinions!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Jen. I only want to spend my time reading quality books so I relish these "best of best" lists. I haven't even heard of THE ART OF SECRETS or WILDLIFE so now I have some new books to look into.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.