"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, March 3, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Popular authors I have never read

Ten authors that are really popular (at least at one time) yet I have never read a single book by them so I can't really say if they are good or not.

1. Michael Crichton, 1942-2008
I was just talking to a student about this author today and I had the thought that I should really give him a try.
2. David Foster Wallace, 1962-2008
I walked past one of his books yesterday during a rare visit to Barnes and Noble yesterday and I wondered if I would like it. I will never know if I don't try him out.
3. Meg Cabot, 1967-
The Princess Diaries series, The Mediator series, Queen of Babble, others...and I've read none of them.
4. Frank Herbert, 1920-1986
That means I've never read a single Dune novel. How can I hold my head up as a librarian?
5. Agatha Christie, 1890-1976
I am fairly familiar with her characters because of the movies but I have never read one of her books.
6. Jack Kerouac, 1922-1969
I have wanted to read On the Road.
7. Diana Gabaldon, 1952-
The Outlander series intrigues me but the books are so.o.o  long.
8. Amy Tan, 1952-
I think I have started but not finished one of her books. It is time to read one by this well-known author.
9. Veronica Rossi 
Under the Never Sky is a series that I really intend to read but have never gotten around to them, yet.
10. Jo Nesbo, 1960-
A Norwegian author that my friends keep raving about. Where do I start? 

Do you have an author that you really like that you think I should read? How about an author you think you should read?

6 comments:

  1. I could have added David Foster Wallace to my list--he really intimidates me!
    I used to LOVE reading Agatha Christie and I still have a lot of her paperbacks on my shelves--really good, solid mysteries. You should give her a try! My favorites are Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Christe and Rossi of the list, and while I adore Christie, Rossi was a let down. I will finish her books some other time, I am in no hurry. But Agahtha's books are fun!
    Happy reading!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great authors, I have Under the Never Sky on my shelf too.. I need to get to this one.. thanks for stopping by my STS. new GFC follower! ~Katie @ Inkk Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read everything by Agatha and most of Nesbo's work. He IS gritty and his main character is a train wreck. I don't see you liking the series much since you're not generally a mystery reader.I adored Dune and got VERY into that world, but you definitely have to be in the mood for it. I personally don't think that Michael Crichton is a very good writer. His stories are gripping; I rarely read him though because I can't stand how he writes. As for mystery authors, one who writes like a poet (in spite of the darkness of his books) is James Lee Burke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael Crichton's books are good for quick reads, not much character development but plots flow past in a jiffy. Jurassic Park! The Dune series captured my imagination long ago. But not sure you will like On the Road. I reread it last year and was not sure it was worth it. I need to read David Foster Wallace as well. Cheers. http://www.thecuecard.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to read the Dune series as well. Diana Gabaldon made my list as well. Here’s my TTT .

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.